Video playback in full screen by default

• Replies 2
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could probably do it with JS. You would have to look into it, get some help etc. Plenty of front-end devs out there to collab with.

I agree, it's a common-sense feature. After all, SQS's main thing is "rich experiences" that are easy to create and manage. Playing multiple videos on load or when playhead is clicked makes sense to me.

For now, in 7.1 I'm using full bg video on our new site (sorry, no link yet). The main problem here is that it's YouTube, Vimeo or bust - take your pick. Whereas Squarespace should allow us to upload our clips natively, skipping the nonsense of 3rd party linking and crap playback/looping, they'd have to host and manage and facilitate that bleepshow. So part of me doesn't blame them!

YT shows it's ugly links and player chrome on load, and on loop. Yet SQS says we should keep video loop lengths short for faster loading. Kind of defeats the purpose of looping if the loop isn't seamless, right? At least for my purposes. The result is a butt-ugly transition, and a totally un-pro vibe.

Haven't tried Vimeo load yet. Hoping it's not the same problem. As in, hoping it loads and loops without any visible "Vimeo" bs. I don't have my hopes up though :/

• 2 weeks later...

No answer, just feedback... I saw a work around for this using 7.0 templates, but I've spent hours trying to figure out a way to have the video play either full screen or in a modal in 7.1 without any success. Interesting, it seems that video has taken a back seat in 7.1 (imho).

Archived