Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Advanced Search
  • 2
JONNO

Is it possible to add an ads.txt file for Adsense to root of domain

Question

I'm trying to find a workaround to enable me to add an ads.txt file to the root of a domain in Squarespace.  I've searched high and low, but don't seem to be able to find a solution that will work properly.  I would appreciate advice from anyone who has found a solution.  From what I've read so far, it seems as if it isn't worth running Adsense if you are not able to place the required ads.txt file in the root of your domain.  Without this, your revenue would be significantly reduced as many advertisers won't serve ads on sites without it in place.

Share this post


Link to post

11 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 1

For anyone who has been trying to unsuccessfully install Google Adsense on their Squarespace site, here are the instructions

This is a permanent solution, similar to the other method, but with changes.

Please give it anywhere from 24 hours to a week to take effect. https://www.graesen.com/blog/resolve-google-adsense-your-earnings-may-be-at-risk-error-for-squarespace 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

@JONNO @Tenniscraft @softsoldier 

I think I've found a solution! You have to go through several steps, including URL remapping. 

Here's what I did:

1. Download the ads.txt file from Google AdSense.

2. On Squarespace, go to your Pages, and create a blank page under the "Not Linked" section. 

3. On that page, create a text block and write anything you like. I wrote "test". 

4. Highlight the text and click on the hyperlink icon. Once the small window pops up, click on the settings icon. 

5. Go to the "File" section and upload the ads.txt file. Once uploaded, click on it to select it (a tick mark will appear next to it). Click apply then save the page. 

8. Return to your page's dashboard and go to Settings --> Advanced --> URL Mappings.

9. In the box, type "/ads.txt -> /s/ads.txt 301". Save. 

Et voila! You should be good to go. You can even delete the page you've created earlier - the file will still be saved on Squarespace. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I used the same method as Mariana.  It SEEMS to have worked, but I'm still getting the error on my adsense account.  

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 2/6/2020 at 6:03 PM, Marinaoftheworld said:

@JONNO @Tenniscraft @softsoldier 

I think I've found a solution! You have to go through several steps, including URL remapping. 

Here's what I did:

1. Download the ads.txt file from Google AdSense.

2. On Squarespace, go to your Pages, and create a blank page under the "Not Linked" section. 

3. On that page, create a text block and write anything you like. I wrote "test". 

4. Highlight the text and click on the hyperlink icon. Once the small window pops up, click on the settings icon. 

5. Go to the "File" section and upload the ads.txt file. Once uploaded, click on it to select it (a tick mark will appear next to it). Click apply then save the page. 

8. Return to your page's dashboard and go to Settings --> Advanced --> URL Mappings.

9. In the box, type "/ads.txt -> /s/ads.txt 301". Save. 

Et voila! You should be good to go. You can even delete the page you've created earlier - the file will still be saved on Squarespace. 

 

This method worked for me last year, but no longer seems to be working. Even when I had it working, it would intermittently stop working. 

I'm trying now with the full URL redirect, e.g. "/ads.txt -> https://domain.squarespace.com/s/ads.txt 301" If this still doesn't work, I'm going to have to find an alternative to Adsense.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

@Tenniscraft @AlexFa @Marinaoftheworld 

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question and for your suggestions.  I contacted Squarespace support and requested assistance, but unfortunately the person who replied to me could only say that they will refer the matter to development, but couldn't guarantee that it will be resolved any time soon.  I guess he didn't have the authority to promise anything, but there's always hope that the message got through to the right people.  I can't see why it can't be implemented as other platforms have done so, and it's a major requirement for anyone looking for a simple way to monetize their blog so really in Squarespace's best interest to solve.

Below is the reply I received:

Happy to help you with this!
We don't currently offer that feature, but I'd be happy to suggest it to our development team. While we can't guarantee implementation of every suggestion, customer feedback is an important part of how we continue to improve our platform, so we appreciate your input.
You can keep up-to-date on developments at Squarespace by following our blog here:
http://blog.squarespace.com
In addition to the major product features we already post, we’ll also be adding product update summaries that roll up smaller releases, updates, and fixes.
If you need any further assistance, or have a question or comment, we'll be happy to help you!

Juan U.

http://support.squarespace.com

I hope others reading this will follow up with support as well so that they can see that more clients are requesting this feature.

@PDChappelle has your full URL redirect worked since you tried it, or have you moved on to an alternative?  

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 2/27/2020 at 1:45 PM, JONNO said:

@Tenniscraft @AlexFa @Marinaoftheworld 

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question and for your suggestions.  I contacted Squarespace support and requested assistance, but unfortunately the person who replied to me could only say that they will refer the matter to development, but couldn't guarantee that it will be resolved any time soon.  I guess he didn't have the authority to promise anything, but there's always hope that the message got through to the right people.  I can't see why it can't be implemented as other platforms have done so, and it's a major requirement for anyone looking for a simple way to monetize their blog so really in Squarespace's best interest to solve.

Below is the reply I received:

Happy to help you with this!
We don't currently offer that feature, but I'd be happy to suggest it to our development team. While we can't guarantee implementation of every suggestion, customer feedback is an important part of how we continue to improve our platform, so we appreciate your input.
You can keep up-to-date on developments at Squarespace by following our blog here:
http://blog.squarespace.com
In addition to the major product features we already post, we’ll also be adding product update summaries that roll up smaller releases, updates, and fixes.
If you need any further assistance, or have a question or comment, we'll be happy to help you!

Juan U.

http://support.squarespace.com

I hope others reading this will follow up with support as well so that they can see that more clients are requesting this feature.

@PDChappelle has your full URL redirect worked since you tried it, or have you moved on to an alternative?  

Nope. I've had to ditch Adsense for Skimlinks. I didn't want to do it, but Squarespace leaves me with no choice. 

There's a guy who runs a Squarespace site, who had been helping us immensely with this issue. His instructions were useful, but something with the SQSP platform kept screwing it up. He is now leaving Squarespace for Wix. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Awesome Fix. For those that haven't done this: It sounds complicated at first but just go step by step. Clean fix.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 3/16/2020 at 2:20 PM, PDChappelle said:

For anyone who has been trying to unsuccessfully install Google Adsense on their Squarespace site, here are the instructions

This is a permanent solution, similar to the other method, but with changes.

Please give it anywhere from 24 hours to a week to take effect. https://www.graesen.com/blog/resolve-google-adsense-your-earnings-may-be-at-risk-error-for-squarespace 

I officially joined this forum just to tell you THANK YOU! hahaha 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I found this thread very helpful!

I have a question to piggyback off of this. In the instructions, it says that we can delete the physical text after we are done with the URL Mapping. What would you do in a situation where you needed to update the ads.txt file again (maybe due to adding more partners)? Would you just have to repeat the entire process again?

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment


×
×
  • Create New...