Minimum order subtotal for checkout / set shopping cart limitation with a warning message

• Replies 34
  • Views 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You cannot set minimum order values reliably.
To be clear, you could add code to the cart to set a minimum cart subtotal but, whatever you do, when customers go to the checkout, they can remove items and reduce the value of their order below the minimum you have set. You cannot set a minimum value in the checkout because it is locked down. Code cannot be added to it.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

On 1/29/2020 at 3:12 AM, paul2009 said:

You cannot set minimum order values reliably.
To be clear, you could add code to the cart to set a minimum cart subtotal but, whatever you do, when customers go to the checkout, they can remove items and reduce the value of their order below the minimum you have set. You cannot set a minimum value in the checkout because it is locked down. Code cannot be added to it.

Ok, so is it possible to display custom message next to the subtotal number in cart when the number is less than 10? Can you help me with this?

<input type="number"  name="qty" id="qty" 
value="<?...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/31/2020 at 3:52 AM, siweisong said:

Ok, so is it possible to display custom message next to the subtotal number in cart

Yes indeed, that's possible. It's just frustrating that they will be able to remove them again at the checkout.

I really wish Squarespace would listen to the feedback, and prevent users from editing the 'Order Summary' portion of the checkout.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

On 3/21/2020 at 8:02 PM, paul2009 said:

Yes indeed, that's possible. It's just frustrating that they will be able to remove them again at the checkout.

I really wish Squarespace would listen to the feedback, and prevent users from editing the 'Order Summary' portion of the checkout.

What was the fix here, I need anything that is close to a solution....??

Thanks in advance

I have created a plugin that prevents users from leaving the cart and checking out unless they have met a certain total.

As Paul mentioned, there is no way to prevent people from changing the order total on the checkout page itself, but this represents the best way out there to prevent people from getting to the checkout page unless they have a certain total in their cart.

https://schwartz-edmisten.com/shop/squarespace-minimum-cart-subtotal-for-checkout

• 3 weeks later...

Just chiming in that this is a very important (and urgent) feature for us now. We've recently started offering online orders via Squarespace for our restaurant - we've always used Squarespace for our website but as we are a brick & mortar spot we never did online ordering and delivery on our own. With the Covid-19 impact we have quickly gotten our food online for delivery orders - however without a minimum order we face situations where our delivery costs end up being more than the profit we would get from selling the food (as we absorb a chunk of the delivery fee). Hopefully Squarespace can get this minimum order / minimum amount feature done quickly.

Thanks for the minimum order suggestion. I've gone ahead escalated it to our development team on your behalf. We know this is an unprecedented time, and while we can't guarantee the implementation of every suggestion, we do appreciate the details and feedback here.

On 4/14/2020 at 11:31 AM, talk19 said:

without a minimum order we face situations where our delivery costs end up being more than the profit

57 minutes ago, JoGutierrez said:

I've gone ahead escalated it to our development team on your behalf.

Jo, I'm really encouraged by your post.  👏 👏 👏 👏. Please help us to help clients 🙏

If there's one tiny change would help small businesses across the world who are relying on Squarespace to keep their bricks and mortar stores afloat, it's to allow a minimum order value so that businesses can afford to offer local delivery

We have been able to enforce a minimum order value in the cart for some time (a number of us make this available) but we cannot enforce it at the checkout because Squarespace allow customers to edit the quantity or remove items altogether. Please disable this so that customers must make changes in the cart, before they reach the checkout. 

checkout-summary-remove-items.png.dc92621373b2634727ebb07808f94642.png

This would make a huge difference for many businesses. This is not new feedback - we've been asking for years - but it has a new importance during the COVID-19 pandemic that our clients currently face.

-Paul

This seems like an absolutely obvious and a must-have feature for small online retailers. How do you guys not have it? It should be so easy to implement. 🤦‍♂️I hate to abandon all the store set up I have done on Squarespace and pay for Shopify just for this simple feature.

Same here. I'm working with a new Ice Cream company that is in the early launch phase and Covid has interrupted our distribution plan for the time being and we are working on the final logistics to just have people order online be we really need to be able to have a cart amount minimum before people can place an order. For instance saying they have to order 4 pints or the sale wont go through or even an minimum about spent in the subtotal of the cart before it will let them proceed with placing the order. 

Obviously we would have plenty of copy on the website and item description stating that and could possibly just police it ourselves but that would be a pain in the ass and a waste of man power. I have been using SS for years personally and I have four other companies that I work with and consult who use square space that are looking to implement something similar so I'd hate to have to have them migrate off of SquareSpace just because of that. 

In a time when everyone is having to go online for business to stay alive, this really should be a top list thing to add to your commerce plans. Would also be a GIANT selling point to others looking to come into this space as well.

Yeah, this is causing a big issue for me too. My restaurant client wants to start doing delivery, and we’ve set up his Squarespace site to launch this offering, and now we realise you can set a minimum order value.

Hugely frustrating. We can’t launch this while it’s possible for customers to place a delivery order for £1.50. 

Another Up Vote!

I'm also learning that it seems impossible to integrate a UPS issued API Key into squarespace to get real-time shipping calculations and billing directly connected to a UPS account?  Is this true?  Is it true that anything that may change the order summary screen is completely impossible to access?  If not, someone please help me - otherwise it seems the only option is to pay for the ShipStation plug-in (which has compliance complications with my business) or pay for the Commerce Advanced Squarespace UPS API, but that does nothing but offer shipping quotes - i still have to process that info manually for each orders shipping processing/label-printing/etc on my UPS account.  Anyone have a magic bullet here?  @paul2009 maybe?

Thanks all

7 hours ago, Leif_Sund said:

Is it true that anything that may change the order summary screen is completely impossible to access?

That’s correct.

Archived