Directing Users to Booking Calendar After Payment

My client's site offers services that require her clients to book times. I want to make it so that after her clients purchase the service (through squarespace checkout), they're directed to a calendar page to book the time/date of the service they just purchased. Currently she has her clients pay her via PayPal site after they book, so it hasn't been an issue, but we want to move the payment process to her site (through squarespace), and I just don't know how I can get her clients to pay for the service then be directed to the booking page. I tried doing a code injection, using the embed code for the calendar in the Order Confirmation page, and it added it to the footer, but there's no way to add it to the actual page or to edit the content of the Order Confirmation page to say "hey, look at the footer to book." I'm absolutely certain that people have had this problem before, but there seems to be no easy solution on Squarespace's help site. I've thought of adding information to the checkout page that just has the direct link to her calendar, stating that once they pay they'll need to follow the link to schedule their service, but this seems like it might be too confusing for the average client. Please if anyone has any idea how I can direct users to a booking page after they've purchased their service, I'd be very very grateful!!

Edited by LaurenSquare

This sounds like a perfect situation to use Squarespace Scheduling (previously Acuity). 

It is an online appointment-booking tool built into Squarespace. Enter your availability and the services you offer, then use Scheduling to share your schedule, receive online bookings and take payments. You can optionally send reminders and follow-up emails to clients.

You can try it free for 14 days. 

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Hi! Yes, I am familiar with Acuity, but I don't want to add another add-on that my client will have to pay for, (and I know Acuity offers a free version, but in order to pay through Acuity, she would have to purchase the paid version of it), plus I've set her up using product pages (shop page) in Squarespace, which has a book button already on it without the option to remove it - 2 buttons would be ridiculous. Plus, with the services she offers and the way acuity is designed, it would just make it too complicated for users to select the service they're looking for. And that's the last thing I want to do to potential buyers right before they convert.

Any other suggestions?

What if I put in a permanent redirect on the confirmation URL to a booking page? Is that crazy? I think Squarespace is making me crazy. 

Without more information about the use case, it's difficult to offer specific suggestions. To help us, please provide a working link to the page where the service is purchased as well as a link to the page where you want clients to schedule it. That will give us more context and help to explain why Squarespace's new Scheduling product doesn't meet your client's needs.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

A current issue with Scheduling is that if you book through it (or Acuity) you cannot get the clients email address / detials into Sqaurespace Mail, whihc seems totally daft to me.

Currently I have Acuity mail templates but I want to use Squarepace Mail but cannot without doubling up. Surely there should be a way to get scheduling clients email address into Sqaurespace Mail ?

Edited by jai.cheswick
  • 2 months later...
On 1/23/2020 at 8:48 PM, paul2009 said:

This sounds like a perfect situation to use Squarespace Scheduling (previously Acuity). It is an online appointment-booking tool built into Squarespace. Enter your availability and the services you offer, then use Scheduling to share your schedule, receive online bookings and take payments. You can optionally send reminders and follow-up emails to clients. You can try it free for 14 days. 

We are searching for the best check out flow possible: how to integrate in our shop:

• we want customers to be able to book an appointment and
  • have them pay for it upfront AND
  • have them fill in an intake form too. So 3 things. How to set this up in the best streamlined way? We don't want to lose customers in a check out proces that confuses them.

Thanks for your suggestions!

(We already use scheduling/acuity)

Edited by Glitteringwhite
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm writing a blog post about this. I've dug deep into this and currently found 5 different ways to do this. None of them are perfect. 

On 1/23/2020 at 7:38 PM, LaurenSquare said:

I want to make it so that after her clients purchase the service (through squarespace checkout), they're directed to a calendar page to book the time/date of the service they just purchased.

This is possible. You can either redirect by adding javascript redirect 

window.location.href = "http://schedulinglink.com/appointmenttype";

...or by adding the Scheduling widget to the order confirmation page so it would look like this video where we have scheduling after Squarespace checkoug payment

On 1/23/2020 at 7:38 PM, LaurenSquare said:

I tried doing a code injection, using the embed code for the calendar in the Order Confirmation page, and it added it to the footer, but there's no way to add it to the actual page or to edit the content of the Order Confirmation page to say "hey, look at the footer to book."

I'm working on a plugin to solve this. You can try that or I'll write a simple version code below. Something like this should work in the order confirmation code injection.

Header code injection:

<!-- jQuery 3 -->
<script src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/3.6.0/jquery.min.js"></script>

Order confirmation code injection (replace iframe with your scheduling embed iframe)

<div id="acuityscheduling-iframe">
    <iframe id="acuityDelivery" src="" title="Schedule Appointment" width="100%" height="800" frameBorder="0"></iframe>
</div>

<script>
$( document ).ready(function() {
$('#acuityscheduling-iframe').insertAfter('#confirmed-page');    
}); 
</script>

Get in touch if you need help or custom stuff – I've written code like this for multiple Squarespace sites and know Scheduling + Squarespace Ecommerce inside-out. 

On 1/24/2020 at 9:57 PM, LaurenSquare said:

I am familiar with Acuity, but I don't want to add another add-on that my client will have to pay for, (and I know Acuity offers a free version, but in order to pay through Acuity

Acuity/Squarespace Scheduling no longer has a free plan. Calendly is a free alternative to Squarespace Scheduling. You can use the free version for most cases, especially if you have scheduling after (not before) Squarespace Checkout. 

On 1/24/2020 at 9:57 PM, LaurenSquare said:

What if I put in a permanent redirect on the confirmation URL to a booking page? Is that crazy?

That could work, but I think it's better to embed the scheduling widget to the Order Confirmed – page and edit the headings and text to clarify to the user what's going on so it wouldn't be unclear or weird. 

On 1/31/2020 at 8:14 AM, jai.cheswick said:

A current issue with Scheduling is that if you book through it (or Acuity) you cannot get the clients email address / detials into Sqaurespace Mail, whihc seems totally daft to me.

Yeah, there is the possibility to take payments via Scheduling (instead of Squarespace E-Commerce). You can see how it would work in this video. But yes – currently the customer emails do not move to Squarespace Email Campaigns which sucks. I'll figure out the best solution to automatise this and write back when I have one. 

On 4/4/2020 at 3:36 PM, Glitteringwhite said:

We are searching for the best check out flow possible: how to integrate in our shop:

• we want customers to be able to book an appointment and
  • have them pay for it upfront AND
  • have them fill in an intake form too. So 3 things. How to set this up in the best streamlined way? We don't want to lose customers in a check out proces that confuses them.

You can add Scheduling after payment or Before payment

You can add the form to Squarespace Scheckout or add the form to Scheduling

I'll be updating my blog post about this and you can check the plugin I'm developing to solve this.

Edited by codeandtonic
more info

Freelance Squarespace developer making plugins like Full-Width Blocks, Hover effects for grid gallery and the Darkmode plugin. I know Squarespace inside out and I'm able to solve pretty much any Squarespace code problem.

Get in touch here!

On 1/31/2020 at 8:14 AM, jai.cheswick said:

It looks like this is now fixed and you can. Instructions here. But this would required that they'll subscribe (unless I'm mistaken)

Another method is using Zapier as shown in this video and then do a 20 second step to import emails from Google Sheets to Squarespace Email Campaigns once a week/month

Freelance Squarespace developer making plugins like Full-Width Blocks, Hover effects for grid gallery and the Darkmode plugin. I know Squarespace inside out and I'm able to solve pretty much any Squarespace code problem.

Get in touch here!