Membership Site recommendations

I love Squarespace and try to make everything I do fit onto the Squarespace platform, however, I'm wondering if I am trying something that's beyond the scope of SqSp. I'm looking into building a paid membership site with paid content, some sort of community integration (Discourse?), and live events (webinars... ?) all behind a pay wall. 

I know Squarespace has a bunch of features which might work, but I'm not sure they're the best solution. One alternative platform that has been suggested is https://kajabi.com/ but I don't know if I want to mess with another platform. 

So what say you? Do you think there's a good way to run a membership site using Squarespace? If so, what are good resources for doing it right? If not, what alternatives would you recommend?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've been on the same bus for months!  We've tried just about every platform and I can honestly say that none of them come close to what we need.  The most recent we've experimented with is MemberStack.  It worked the best out of all those we tried, but where we continue getting caught up (as I understand it) is SqSp does not support SSO.  So, using Memberstack, we can create a personalised member page and everything looks beautiful ... but if I want to integrate scheduling so that logged in member can schedule an appointment from their beautiful personalised page, they need to enter a whole lot of info into acuity (name, email etc) which should be able to be pulled from their MemberStack record.

There's more than 15 pages of questions here in the past 6 months about how  best to create membership platforms in SqSp ... you'd think commercially they'd give it some serious thought.  We'd move this problem to another platform like shopify who through their app partners have nailed this, but we just love the SqSp aesthetic.  It's crazy!

Original Post January 27, 2020:

If it's any consolation @JefSteele we've been asking for this since 2012 when Squarespace 6 was launched. Some sites are still running Squarespace 5 because it had this feature! I really hope this will be a 2020 delivery.

Update November 2020:

It's here! Sell Memberships with Squarespace Member Areas

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 9 months later...

This feature would be VERY beneficial. I have a client asking for membership feature with a drip access. She wants clients to sign contract & pay, be directed to password protected membership page, then get timed access to each module (so clients can't skip ahead).

I'm looking which program would be best to integrate since Squarespace apparently does not have it. Disappointing they had it in the past and no longer do. Platforms I'm looking into are Teachable, Kajabi, Entreport, Access Ally...

Fingers crossed one of these integrates but in the meantime, c'mooooooooooon sqsp!

26 minutes ago, molly_kelene said:

This feature would be VERY beneficial.

It's here! It was launched this week. You'll find more details here:

https://newsroom.squarespace.com/blog/sell-memberships-with-squarespace-member-areas

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Archived