How to display Related Products from other product pages?

Hey there, just started using the Related Products functionality on my shop, but noticed that products from other product pages with the exact same categories do not show up in the randomized selection. I know each page has it's own tags and categories--is there ANY way to get products from other pages to show up?

I have a clothing business and each product page has a type of item: ie "tops" "dresses" "shoes" and I would like to be able to recommend products between those pages to create more dynamic browsing, so for example, I would like to recommend shoes to go with pants and a top despite the fact that they are on different pages. Is this possible or do I need to use blocks or just dump everything into one page and create a filtering system using categories (vs separating them out into pages?)

thx

As you have found, this only works within a Product Page. If you have multiple project pages, you cannot pull in products from others. 

2 hours ago, waywardcollection said:

do I need to.. just dump everything into one page and create a filtering system using categories (vs separating them out into pages?)

Yes, this is the ideal way to do it, but it is only possible if you have less than 200 products. That's the maximum per page.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 6 months later...

I have hit exactly the same issue with our craft shop. The related products we want to display are sold on different pages. I was hoping that categories were unique to the page and the tags to the entire inventory but doesn't appear to be the case. Anyone know of a workaround? 

46 minutes ago, GordonF said:

The related products we want to display are sold on different pages. I was hoping that categories were unique to the page and the tags to the entire inventory but doesn't appear to be the case. Anyone know of a workaround?

There isn't a workaround on Squarespace 7.0. This may not be helpful to you, but if the site was built today on Squarespace 7.1, this wouldn't be an issue because you can now have 10,000 products on a single page. I hope that this will be added retrospectively to Squarespace 7.0.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Strange I hit the 200 product limit on 7.1 so quite surprised when you mentioned 10,000 products. We have a craft shop so we have say a page for wool, a page for needles, another page for patterns. There are certain wool's that go with patterns and equally we need to recommend the correct needles to use. It would be great to be able to able to relate a product from a different store page rather just a random product from the same page that has no relevance. 

For example 

https://bicesterwools.co.uk/double-knit-patterns/stylecraft-9792

would want 

https://bicesterwools.co.uk/double-knit/stylecraft-highland-heather-dk?rq=highland heather

as a related product.

They need to be in 2 different store pages for ease of management and for customers to find exactly what they are looking for.

2 hours ago, GordonF said:

Strange I hit the 200 product limit on 7.1 so quite surprised when you mentioned 10,000 products.

If your 7.1 site was built before August 12, it will have a 200-product limit per page. However, it is now possible to upgrade your store pages. They now support up to 10,000 products and 1,000 categories. There's now a best-in-class category system that replaces the need for more than one Store Page. You can:

• Manually order categories to display the way you want
  • Manually order products in every category
  • Nest categories within each other for an easy-to-manage, modern sub-category system for larger product catalogs

• 4 months later...
21 minutes ago, GordonF said:

It would be interesting to understand how much redesign and effort is required to engineer a migration to the new catalogue model that supports 10000 products.

As of Friday 16 October 2020, all 7.1 websites should have the newer Product Collections 2.0 that support 10,000 products.

Shop pages supporting 10,000 products are great but I have to say that they are a pain in the **s to manage because there is no automatic sorting feature for products. When you add a product to a shop page, you'll have to manually drag it to the right spot if you want it alphabetized. If you set several categories for a product, you will have to go in EVERY category to drag the product to the right place. Otherwise, it gets thrown to the front or very bottom -- and this is reflected on the page that customers see. It boggles me why Squarespace didn't include an automatic sorting feature so products appear alphabetically. This would be an essential feature when you are dealing with thousands of products on one page. (And yes, I can use the spreadsheet to sort products but I have read so many posts about issues and errors uploading product spreadsheets I just don't want to deal with another thing that Squarespace ought to have fixed already.)

Edited by sruss76
  • 10 months later...

I'll just add my name here as another person really wanting to be able to relate products across pages. This works for creating discounts across pages (discounts by categories) so I don't understand why the functionality isn't there. 

The only "work-around" I've found is very time consuming, and it just feels like this should be a no-brainer for Squarespace.

10 minutes ago, joannalynntong said:

I'll just add my name here as another person really wanting to be able to relate products across pages.

As this isn't an issue on Squarespace 7.1, where you can have all 10,000 products on one Store page, this feature is never likely to be added to Squarespace 7.0.

I appreciate that's not ideal for anyone with a store on 7.0, but hopefully this information helps you (and anyone else reading this) to know whether they want to remain on 7.0 or move to 7.1.