Jump to content

Import of blogs keeps failing

Recommended Posts

Since I cannot find any answers online I will ask here. I am exporting blog posts from one squarespace 7 site and trying to import them into another squarespace 7 site. I am using the wordpress import and export xml file, and it keeps failing. The one time it worked, instead of importing the blog posts, it imported all of the pages from the site, which I thought wasnt even possible.

anyway, I need to simple just import the blog posts. any thoughts? I keep getting this error. Thanks

— WORDPRESS Import complete. Status: Failed
— The import has failed.
— com.squarespace.v6.business.content.exceptions.InvalidContentItemException: urlId cannot be null: 9DXR4ELWSH3NLRACA2AM
— Importing data from WORDPRESS.
Link to comment
2 hours ago, srodrigues said:

Hi drdavis74, 

At the moment, Squarespace isn't optimized for importing content between Squarespace 7 sites. This is mentioned in the help guide below:

Importing and exporting content

If you would like to submit that as a feature request, please contact our Customer Support team as Squarespace doesn’t track feature requests or bug reports in this forum.

Thanks!

worst...answer...ever...

Link to comment
  • 2 months later...

Indeed! Am using a 7.1 template and the import simply errors out (export from another squarespace website) - is there no way to debug this?

Would make squarespace really useful if one can efficiently import and export content!!

— Importing data from WORDPRESS.
— com.squarespace.v6.business.content.exceptions.InvalidContentItemException: urlId cannot be null: GXENTD6M8XWMPL396DTA
— The import has failed.
— WORDPRESS Import complete. Status: Failed
 
Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

I am having the same issues - trying to move a blog from one of my Squarespace 7 sites to another Squarespace 7 sites. Has anyone had success importing to an actual Wordpress page and then exporting from there (as opposed to creating the xml but not putting onto Wordpress first)

Link to comment
1 hour ago, trixiefilms said:

I am trying to move a blog from one of my Squarespace 7 sites to another Squarespace 7 sites.

It will be easier to do this directly from Squarespace to Squarespace. There's a similar thread here:

 

About me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for over 18 yrs and a Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL, providing high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji below. Buying a coffee is optional.

Book paid help with domains: Connect a GoDaddy domain. Connect a Squarespace Domain. Domain assistance

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2020 at 2:08 PM, trixiefilms said:

I am having the same issues - trying to move a blog from one of my Squarespace 7 sites to another Squarespace 7 sites. Has anyone had success importing to an actual Wordpress page and then exporting from there (as opposed to creating the xml but not putting onto Wordpress first)

@trixiefilms I just did it and it worked. Took forever and there's formatting that has to be fixed, but its better than having to go through and do it manually 400x in my case. 

Link to comment
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2020 at 2:45 PM, AngieRoxyE said:

@trixiefilms I just did it and it worked. Took forever and there's formatting that has to be fixed, but its better than having to go through and do it manually 400x in my case. 

Have to share raves for the Squarespace Websites Tools Extension, which someone recommended on another thread here. Moving a large blog from one SS7 site to another took less than 1/2 hour with no problems at all. Worth the $50 price (but shame on SS for not having this feature built in.) 

https://www.squarewebsites.org/squarespacewebsites-tools-extension

Link to comment
On 4/26/2020 at 5:05 PM, trixiefilms said:

Have to share raves for the Squarespace Websites Tools Extension, which someone recommended on another thread here. Moving a large blog from one SS7 site to another took less than 1/2 hour with no problems at all. Worth the $50 price (but shame on SS for not having this feature built in.) 

https://www.squarewebsites.org/squarespacewebsites-tools-extension

That is good to know. I had to go in and add the images to all 300 posts still unfortunately. 

Link to comment
  • 1 month later...
On 4/28/2020 at 6:14 PM, AngieRoxyE said:

That is good to know. I had to go in and add the images to all 300 posts still unfortunately. 

Thanks for mentioning that. I did lose a lot of images (but not all) and I doubt I'm going to take the time to fix that. 
 

Link to comment
  • 4 months later...

Fixed this!

You have to add the following to your each <item> in your XML

<guid isPermaLink="false">https://YOURSITE.squarespace.com/YOUR-ARTICLE-URL</guid>

Then it will import - then go into PAGES and then REFRESH your browser - you'll see the content greyed out under NOT LINKED.

Link to comment
  • 2 years later...
On 10/6/2020 at 11:00 AM, esmizzle said:

Fixed this!

You have to add the following to your each <item> in your XML

<guid isPermaLink="false">https://YOURSITE.squarespace.com/YOUR-ARTICLE-URL</guid>

Then it will import - then go into PAGES and then REFRESH your browser - you'll see the content greyed out under NOT LINKED.

Thanks for this! It works perfectly. Since I had hundreds of posts do migrate, I used some regex search and replace to put correct URL slug for each post.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

×
×
  • Create New...

Squarespace Webinars

Free online sessions where you’ll learn the basics and refine your Squarespace skills.

Hire a Designer

Stand out online with the help of an experienced designer or developer.