Create discussions spaces or a Forum on squarespace 7.1

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Hello dear squarespace fellows !

I would like to create a folder or a page allowing me to propose a thematic exchange forum to my visitors (possibly with a prior registration request).
Have you found a way to do that?
Is it possible to plug such a solution from a third party site (ie. zapier or an open source / free solution easy to implement)?

I'll tell you right away that I'm not a computer scientist and have no notion of code, but I can understand and apply a lot of things!

I thank you in advance for your help

(DeepL is my best friend because my English remains limited, poor French that I am!)

eric

• Solution

Follow what Squarespace did when they created this forum - use a third party solution like Invision Community, Discourse or Flarum. You can use your website's domain name (just like Squarespace did) and it will appear to be running on the same website.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 month later...

Hi Eric,

You can also try Website Toolbox. You can embed the forum into squarespace, it has single sign on, matches your domain name, and doesn't require any software to be installed.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

George

• 4 months later...
On 1/10/2020 at 4:39 PM, paul2009 said:

Follow what Squarespace did when they created this forum - use a third party solution like Invision Community, Discourse or Flarum. You can use your website's domain name (just like Squarespace did) and it will appear to be running on the same website.

@paul2009 Would this be easy for anyone to integrate or would you need to have advanced coding knowledge?

1 minute ago, e_robertson said:

Would this be easy for anyone to integrate or would you need to have advanced coding knowledge?

Anyone can set up one of these using their website domain name. Coding isn't necessary unless you need to customise it beyond the built-in settings (very much like Squarespace). They'll provide instructions to help you add some domain name entries so that your forum can be forum.your-domain-name.com whilst your Squarespace website is www.your-domain-name.com.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

3 minutes ago, e_robertson said:

Do you think this would be a better option?

I cannot comment on this particular service as I haven't used it. If it were me, I'd select a couple of products and then take advantage of their free trials to test them out first.

• 2 months later...
On 1/10/2020 at 5:39 PM, paul2009 said:

Hi there Paul, thanks for the answer.

i was wondering if you could be specific about which 3rd party in particular uses Squarespace itself for this forum.

and have they further customised it or this is roughly how the forum will look like?

thank you for your feedback

Edited by ViktorStojkoski
Typo
1 minute ago, ViktorStojkoski said:

I was wondering if you could be specific about which 3rd party in particular uses Squarespace itself for this forum

This is Invision, styled and configured to match Squarespace's requirements 🙂

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Has anyone used Invision on Squarespace to tell us about the integration?

Is it just a code that can be pasted on a regular Squarespace page? 

https://invisioncommunity.com/innovate/square-space-integration/

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm looking for something like these too. Maybe more like a forum with badges, topics, profiles etc. I've contacted SQSPC support and they told me they don't have this feature currently but might develop it soon, it's on the dev's list... I've found tools like Vanilla Forum, HiveBrite & POWR that seem to have the features I want and are easily integrated in my squarespace website. Haven't used them yet though, so if anyone has experience with these I'd love to hear! :)

• 3 months later...

Invision looks great but at $89/month at the lowest end, that's way too pricey for me. I tried Website Toolbox and without any technical experience got it up and running in 30 minutes. And it's much cheaper than Invision. Very happy to replace the MUUT on my site that has gone AWOL.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2022 at 5:16 PM, Conejo Joe said:

I've been using MUUT on my site for years at https://www.conejovalleyguide.com/community-message-boards/  but can't tell if they are even in operation anymore. One user said his anti-virus software gave him an "expired security certificate" message when he tried to post. Does anyone else use MUUT or know if they are still operating? I've tried to contact them but they don't respond.

I just logged into your site.  I noticed that you've changed your forum log in.  Did you change the forum provider?  if so, who are you using now? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2023 at 1:37 PM, Conejo Joe said:

Invision looks great but at $89/month at the lowest end, that's way too pricey for me. I tried Website Toolbox and without any technical experience got it up and running in 30 minutes. And it's much cheaper than Invision. Very happy to replace the MUUT on my site that has gone AWOL.

I have add Website Toolbox , it is excellent and CS is very nice , help to solve problems in seconds. Thanks @Conejo Joe!