Disabling Portfolio Project Pages in Squarespace Version 7.1

Go to solution Solved by Chris.SE,

4 hours ago, LibbyClarkeDesign said:

I would like very much for this functionality to be addressed by the Squarespace team.

To make a request, contact Squarespace Customer Care using a support ticket.

This forum is answered by Squarespace users who have no control over new features. Squarespace employees don't routinely monitor this forum for feature requests (see the guidelines - item 6).

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

On 11/13/2021 at 6:00 AM, MStraub said:

Just a comment to this great bit of helpful code: I needed to add "draft" to the start of the URL slug after /work, instead of at the end. Ex: "website.com/work/draft-project1" will work, but not  "website.com/work/project1-draft".

you can use the code

a.grid-item[href*="draft"] {
    display: none;
}

A solution I recently helped a member of the forum. That is, still showing the draft project, however when clicking on it, it asks for the password. (require a Business Plan or higher)

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

I was able to hide the portfolio entry from the main grid by tweaking the CSS tuanphan provided to this:

.tweak-portfolio-grid-overlay-image-aspect-ratio-11-square .portfolio-grid-overlay .grid-item[href*="draft"] {
}

(and putting "draft" in the URL)

• 1 month later...

Hey all - reviving this old thread here.

I've tried all of @tuanphan's code posted here, but nothing seems to work.

a.grid-item[href*="/draft"] {
}
.item-pagination-link--next[href*="draft"] {
}

It is still displaying the projects in my main portfolio pages, even though they have 'draft' in the URL. I have tried putting 'draft' at the beginning and end of the url, but no change is registering. 

Note: I have code in already to change the hover colour of these projects. May that be overriding this new code?

ul.portfolio-hover-items-list li:nth-child(1) * {
    color: white;
}

16 hours ago, AdrianJV said:

Hey all - reviving this old thread here.

I've tried all of @tuanphan's code posted here, but nothing seems to work.

It is still displaying the projects in my main portfolio pages, even though they have 'draft' in the URL. I have tried putting 'draft' at the beginning and end of the url, but no change is registering. 

Note: I have code in already to change the hover colour of these projects. May that be overriding this new code?

Can you share link to portfolio page? We can check easier

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any updates on this? I love the idea of the portfolio pages but I have no idea why it doesn't have a simple hide/show button in the settings of the project. It completely baffles me?! 

I would also like to know when this issue is addressed.
This is really annoying since I often have to prepare project pages but the projects themselves are not made for public yet.

Also the website visitor can see that it is being built "live". 🙄

Hi. My name is Marc and I live in Berlin, Germany. I offer creatives services which include webdesign, art direction, photography and high end photo retouching. I also design movie & TV posters for national & international clients. I am specialized in everything. You can see my work on my websites - which I also created: www.marcperino.com & www.soapimages.com
spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

building my first website since Dreamweaver was a thing and ran into this.. Not being able to keep projects hidden until ready is a big glitch in me launching my page. i have some done and could go live but i don't want to seem even more unprofessional with shlocky pages that still have stock footage and incomplete text.  I'm doing this in my spare time so a project could sit there for weeks until i can complete it. That makes me look bad but there doesn't seem to be anything i can do about it. Why would they take away this feature?

Looked into using the code but i get a message that i need a premium account to access the advanced features where i assumed i was supposed to put the script? does it go in the page header code injection?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently using tuanphan's code both to eliminate under-construction portfolio pages from appearing in the grid and to remove them from pagination. While both work, I do wish some additional features from Squarespace could simply implement turning individual portfolio projects on and off because now— though these links are removed from pagination— there is a gap in the pagination sequence where a user has to return to the grid style portfolio page to continue through the portfolio projects. Functional, but not seamless.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to voice my frustration with this too - having to edit projects 'live' looks very unprofessional and is sometimes unrealistic. I don't know about you but I like to take a day or so of tweaking a page before making it live... 

Hoping this gets addressed soon!

• 4 weeks later...

Just want to raise this issue again as totally unacceptable for a company that advertises themselves as a portfolio builder. I'm frustrated that hiding portfolio subpages isn't a feature, and that there are no suggested workarounds for creating drafts of portfolio pages. This is a huge disappointment and I would not have renewed with Squarespace had I anticipated this would be an issue. 

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed.  Not using this platform for ecommerce but for an informational site.  Really don't understand why you don't have an option to disable a project in portfolio page in order to add new products without anyone seeing until ready.  Has to be an easy fix for this without coding.  Really frustrating.

Hi Squarespace,

Are there any updates on this please?

Whilst building my site (which contains a portfolio and one project) the entire site was hidden, so this wasn't an issue. But now I want to add a second project to the same portfolio and make it public with the product launch. This is going to take a few weeks, so obviously don't want it published\visible in the meantime.

It's such a basic feature that should have been there from day one. Two years (and many requests) later, it still isn't an option without resorting to scripting. An enabled toggle on portfolio projects would be such a simple (yet helpful) feature to add.

At the very least, are you able to offer an official workaround for now please?

Edited by PeachyPixels

Regards, David

Web | Twitter | YouTube | React