danllinehan

Question

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

8 answers to this question

Can you help us to understand WHY you want to display more than 30 past events? It may affect the suggestions offered. A link to the page on the site will help to give us context too.

sf-digital-signature-logo-email145.png.46606a2288a2847f44d81b9b7b58f3a5.png
Hi, I'm Paul, founder of SF Digitalbuilding the features that Squarespace didn't include. Pick dates in any format, show prices in other currencies, take orders without payment or improve your cartI value honesty, integrity, transparency and respect. Links in my posts may refer to SF Digital products or may be affiliate links.  Squarespace. I've been a loyal supporter of the platform since 2007. 

1 minute ago, paul2009 said:

Can you help us to understand WHY you want to display more than 30 past events? It may affect the suggestions offered. A link to the page on the site will help to give us context too.

Yes. I wish to display more than 30 events for two websites: one is an environmental campaign that runs frequent RL meetings. The other is an educational institution that runs seminars and then makes recordings of the seminars available afterwards. After each meeting or seminar we add the minutes from the meeting and any powerpoints or resources or recordings to its event page. Users often run back through the archive to find out what happened at previous meetings/seminars. Although they can skip from event to event, the main Events page looks like meetings and seminars have only been running since 2019, which isn't the case. For now I'm happy with my workaround, but I'm not quite sure of the thinking behind the policy. Usability? Page weight? Insights welcome.

Rather than allowing visitors to revisit old events, have you considered simply adding a new 'Blog' page for resources from previous meetings? I know it's not a blog, but a blog collection can be very useful for organising other resources. You could add a new post for each meeting's resources once they are available?  You could title each post with the name/date of the meeting and it would appear more up-to-date and relevant to search.

Also, if a post exists, visitors will know the resources have been posted; they won't need to keep checking back in old event records to see if they have been added. You could add tags or categories to posts, to indicate if they contain slides, minutes or video recordings too, allowing visitors to filter the results and find a resource more easily. 

sf-digital-signature-logo-email145.png.46606a2288a2847f44d81b9b7b58f3a5.png
Hi, I'm Paul, founder of SF Digitalbuilding the features that Squarespace didn't include. Pick dates in any format, show prices in other currencies, take orders without payment or improve your cartI value honesty, integrity, transparency and respect. Links in my posts may refer to SF Digital products or may be affiliate links.  Squarespace. I've been a loyal supporter of the platform since 2007. 

9 hours ago, paul2009 said:

Rather than allowing visitors to revisit old events, have you considered simply adding a new 'Blog' page for resources from previous meetings? I know it's not a blog, but a blog collection can be very useful for organising other resources. You could add a new post for each meeting's resources once they are available?  You could title each post with the name/date of the meeting and it would appear more up-to-date and relevant to search.

Also, if a post exists, visitors will know the resources have been posted; they won't need to keep checking back in old event records to see if they have been added. You could add tags or categories to posts, to indicate if they contain slides, minutes or video recordings too, allowing visitors to filter the results and find a resource more easily. 

I did consider it but dismissed the idea because it's more work for my client when keeping the site up to date, and its more effort for users to find resources. What I've built as a workaround works better than the basic events page. I'm really pleased with it. Thanks for your suggestion!

Edited by Catwood
On 1/9/2020 at 12:30 PM, paul2009 said:

I really need to do this too. I'm uploading podcasts of the past events and I desperatey need it to be more than 30 too. 

Did you find a solution for more past events?