Display more than 30 past events?

Up to 30 past events can appear on a Squarespace Events page when Show past events is enabled. This is a platform limitation for past events on this page type. Squarespace doesn’t use this forum to track limitations or feature requests so, if you'd like to raise this as a feature request, you are encouraged to contact Squarespace directly by raising a ticket through Squarespace Customer Care

If you'd like forum users to suggest workarounds, can you help us to understand WHY you want to display more than 30 past events? It may affect the suggestions offered. A link to the page on the site will help to give us context too.

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

1 minute ago, paul2009 said:

Can you help us to understand WHY you want to display more than 30 past events? It may affect the suggestions offered. A link to the page on the site will help to give us context too.

Yes. I wish to display more than 30 events for two websites: one is an environmental campaign that runs frequent RL meetings. The other is an educational institution that runs seminars and then makes recordings of the seminars available afterwards. After each meeting or seminar we add the minutes from the meeting and any powerpoints or resources or recordings to its event page. Users often run back through the archive to find out what happened at previous meetings/seminars. Although they can skip from event to event, the main Events page looks like meetings and seminars have only been running since 2019, which isn't the case. For now I'm happy with my workaround, but I'm not quite sure of the thinking behind the policy. Usability? Page weight? Insights welcome.

Rather than allowing visitors to revisit old events, have you considered simply adding a new 'Blog' page for resources from previous meetings? I know it's not a blog, but a blog collection can be very useful for organising other resources. You could add a new post for each meeting's resources once they are available?  You could title each post with the name/date of the meeting and it would appear more up-to-date and relevant to search.

Also, if a post exists, visitors will know the resources have been posted; they won't need to keep checking back in old event records to see if they have been added. You could add tags or categories to posts, to indicate if they contain slides, minutes or video recordings too, allowing visitors to filter the results and find a resource more easily. 

Other options include:

• Archive Blocks can display organised lists of links to events. They can display up to 50 groups (months, years, authors, categories, or tags) with a maximum of 100 items per group.
  • Summary Blocks can display lists of events and, although they are limited to 30 events by default, you can show unlimited events by purchasing and installing the Lazy Summaries plugin.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

9 hours ago, paul2009 said:

Rather than allowing visitors to revisit old events, have you considered simply adding a new 'Blog' page for resources from previous meetings? I know it's not a blog, but a blog collection can be very useful for organising other resources. You could add a new post for each meeting's resources once they are available?  You could title each post with the name/date of the meeting and it would appear more up-to-date and relevant to search.

Also, if a post exists, visitors will know the resources have been posted; they won't need to keep checking back in old event records to see if they have been added. You could add tags or categories to posts, to indicate if they contain slides, minutes or video recordings too, allowing visitors to filter the results and find a resource more easily. 

I did consider it but dismissed the idea because it's more work for my client when keeping the site up to date, and its more effort for users to find resources. What I've built as a workaround works better than the basic events page. I'm really pleased with it. Thanks for your suggestion!

Edited by Catwood
  • 11 months later...
On 1/9/2020 at 12:30 PM, paul2009 said:

I really need to do this too. I'm uploading podcasts of the past events and I desperatey need it to be more than 30 too. 

Did you find a solution for more past events?

Try to check the paid plugin Lazy Summaries to see if it work on your case

BeyondSpace - Squarespace Website Developer

🖼️ Lightbox Studio (Enable Pinch/Zoom on lightbox)
🗓️ Delivery Date Picker (Squarespace Date picker form field)
💫 Gallery block 7.1 workaround
🥳 Sparkplugin Customisations Browsers (Browse +100 Spark plugin customisations)
🥳 Elfsight Template Browsers (Browse +1000 Elfsight widget Templates)

If you find my answer useful, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you!

29 minutes ago, RunatitSHOUTING said:

What's that? Never heard of it...?

www.squarewebsites.org

If you find my answer useful, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you!

1 minute ago, RunatitSHOUTING said:

Thank you. Is this the only option? Very keen to seek alternative options if available. 

Summary block limits from Squarespace's backend, so this work around take advantage of JSON api to get all the collection items, so far this is the most efficiency method, worth paying for efforts of the developers (if your coding skills good enough you can create it by your own)

Alternate solution would be take advantage of tagging system, you can place multiple summary blocks stacked on each other, each one contains max 30 items of one tag

4 hours ago, bangank36 said:

Summary block limits from Squarespace's backend, so this work around take advantage of JSON api to get all the collection items, so far this is the most efficiency method, worth paying for efforts of the developers (if your coding skills good enough you can create it by your own)

Alternate solution would be take advantage of tagging system, you can place multiple summary blocks stacked on each other, each one contains max 30 items of one tag

Great! Thank you. I mean I'm not 100% sure this works for what I want. Are you able to confirm that by purchasing the add on I will be able to have unlimited past events shown on webpage. 

As seen here... www.runatitshouting.co.uk/podcasts 

Thank you so much for your help again.

8 hours ago, RunatitSHOUTING said:

Great! Thank you. I mean I'm not 100% sure this works for what I want. Are you able to confirm that by purchasing the add on I will be able to have unlimited past events shown on webpage. 

As seen here... www.runatitshouting.co.uk/podcasts 

Thank you so much for your help again.

If you want to make sure, send an email to the plugin author, he will help injecting

45 minutes ago, RunatitSHOUTING said:

Thank you! Plug in author on Lazy Summaries?

yep

• 4 months later...

We'd like to be to do this too, and not being able to is a pain point.

Paul, to answer your question, another reason why is because past events can be an important part of an overall marketing effort. Being able to display a rich history of events helps establish an organization's presence in its market, and therefor the perception of that organization to its audience, to current and potential customers, and to current and potential business partners. Being able to show a long and rich history is much better than showing just what's most recent.

We'd very much like to see the 30-event limit lifted. W realize there are workarounds, but all of them negate the benefits of automation that a professional-level CMS is supposed to provide.

Edited by NPAN
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
On 8/4/2023 at 7:25 PM, agaritachamberplayers said:

I also need to display more than 30 past events on my website

As mentioned earlier in this thread, this is a platform limitation so you'll need to consider a workaround to be able to display these. Summary Blocks can be used to display lists of events but, as they are also limited to 30 events by default, you would need to purchase a plugin called Lazy Summaries to overcome this.

Squarespace doesn’t use this forum to track limitations or feature requests so, if you'd like to raise this as a feature request, you are encouraged to contact Squarespace directly by raising a ticket through Squarespace Customer Care

Edited by paul2009