Categories

Hello.  My website is a cross stitch supply store.  In it I sell charts from many different designers.  I have my product pages separate for each designer.  Those designers have different themed pieces... such as Halloween or Christmas.  What I am trying to do is create a page where all the similar themed designs come together no matter which designer.  So lets say a Christmas page where all designs in the Christmas Category will show.  I understand that for some un-user friendly reason Squarespace does not have "universal" categories throughout the site, so for each new product page I have to create a new Christmas Category.  Because of this, short of duplicating each and every product that falls under Christmas, and therefore technically two separate products, I cannot figure out a way to bring them all together.  I figure I must be missing something as this should be quite an easy thing to do.  Just a page that displays a search result for the Christmas category.  My website is www.crossstitchboutique.com.  I currently do not use tags because I really do not understand the difference between the two and how one has a different use from the other.  If I give it a Christmas tag is there a way to get a search result product page?  I just cannot figure this out.

Thank you.

Jennifer

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you have less than 200 products, you can place them all on one Product Page, but when you have more than 200, the situation is as you describe. With the built-in tools, the Product Pages are separate and it is difficult to combine them without extensive custom code.

@michaeleparkour has made this much easier with a collection of plugins. His Sync Collections plugin allows you to load multiple product collections into one Lazy Summary Block. You can then filter multiple Product Pages in the way you describe, without duplication .

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Plugins don't usually require coding knowledge but I can understand how it can be helpful. This is the sort of thing that Developers do everyday so it may be worth considering hiring one if you need help with anything code or configuration related. 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

1 hour ago, xstitchboutique said:

I find it hard to believe that you can't just do a simple search for any product with a Christmas category and display results on a page.  Seems like a feature that has been around forever other places.  It seems like no matter which road I take, this is not a simple thing to accomplish.

You may do that with one collection, almost all templates allow you to show Categories filter and have categories/tags pages.
But when you speak about several collections - there is no any built-in solutions, my plugins will work

• 5 months later...

I have clothing product pages set up by brand. 

However each brand has numerous product, Polo Shirts, Tee Shirts, Jeans, Trousers, Sweatshirts etc. etc. 

I would like to have a drop down menu for each style as well as each brand. 

I would have thought Squarespace would have a universal setting for Categories and Tags so you can then add tag product across your site with one of the categories or tags you have created. Then make a new product page that contains every product tagged with one of the categories or tags. 

Or, even be able to 'copy' a product from one page to another rather than just move it?

Michaeleparkour, 

How does your plug in work? 

Can I simply add a category or tag to each product and it automatically add every item across a new product page that I have created? 

Thanks 

Guy 

On 6/26/2020 at 5:12 PM, gizze said:

However each brand has numerous product, Polo Shirts, Tee Shirts, Jeans, Trousers, Sweatshirts etc. etc. 

I would have thought Squarespace would have a universal setting for Categories and Tags so you can then add tag product across your site with one of the categories or tags you have created. Then make a new product page that contains every product tagged with one of the categories or tags. 

Or, even be able to 'copy' a product from one page to another rather than just move it?

Michaeleparkour, 

Can I simply add a category or tag to each product and it automatically add every item across a new product page that I have created? 

Thanks 

Guy 

You should contact him via his site. https://www.squarewebsites.org/contact

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

On 6/26/2020 at 1:12 PM, gizze said:

Michaeleparkour, 

Thanks 

Guy 

Yes, it automatically fetch your categories/tags/variants

Archived