I need a new method for adding line breaks to navigation titles

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

2 hours ago, Katywelsh said:

Is there a way to make the text in the second line a smaller font size?

Yes, you can change the 'font-size' with some CSS.

As it's really just one line that has 'wrapped' onto two, the style cannot be applied to the second line specifically, but you can apply it to top navigation items 4, 5, 6 and 7 using this:

#topNav {
  li:nth-of-type(4) a, li:nth-of-type(5) a, li:nth-of-type(6) a, li:nth-of-type(7) a {
    font-size: 11px;
  }
}

Adjust the size to meet your needs 🙂

If this helps you, please click "Like" below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

On 8/28/2020 at 7:00 AM, paul2009 said:

This site is using the Squarespace 7.1 platform, so you should be able to adjust the navigation by adding the following (in Design > Custom CSS😞

.header .header-nav-item a {
  max-width: 180px;
}
.header-nav-list>div {
  white-space: normal;
}
.header-nav-item, .user-accounts-text-link, .cart-text-link {
  line-height: 1.3em;
}

Notes:

• This is for Squarespace 7.1 only. My earlier posts in this thread give details for Avenue-family and Brine-family templates on Squarespace 7.0
  • The maximum width of each navigation item can be adjusted on line 2. I've set it to 180-pixels initially.
  • When the navigation items wrap onto two (or more) lines, the spacing between them can be adjusted using the line-height. I've set this to 1.3em.

@paul2009 - thanks for the code above - I've added it to my site, and it's getting me close to what I want ( www.rushofitall.com ), but there are a few more adjustments I'd like to make:

1) I'd like the nav items that have internally wrapped to a second line to center justify (they're right-justified now) [I self-solved this one - just added "text-align: center;"]

2) I'd like the whole nav bar to never wrap to a second line (so individual items wrap internally, but the whole line never wraps, but instead switches to the hamburger symbol when browser window is too narrow).

3) I'd like drop-down nav items (items in a navigation folder, like those under "Projects" on my site) to display full length when they show, without wrapping internally.

Any suggestions?

Edited by RushofitAll
self-answered part of my question
  • 2 months later...
17 minutes ago, oldegray said:

Might you know how to do this to this Brine site? I would like it so that if there are more than one word in the navigation, they would wrap centered.

1571984183_Screenshot2021-07-08at19_10_18.thumb.png.7f30ffac2232dd51c02f1aa4a1a3618c.png

For your site, try adding this to Design > Custom CSS:

.Header-nav-item {
  max-width: 120px;
  text-align: center;
  overflow-wrap: break-word;
}

I recommend that you also go into the Site Styles panel (Design > Site Styles) and set your Mobile Breakpoint to 980px (the default is 640px). This will ensure the mobile navigation kicks in before the desktop navigation becomes squashed.

Let me know how you get on.

If this helps, please click "Like" below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

25 minutes ago, paul2009 said:

1571984183_Screenshot2021-07-08at19_10_18.thumb.png.7f30ffac2232dd51c02f1aa4a1a3618c.png

For your site, try adding this to Design > Custom CSS:

.Header-nav-item {
  max-width: 120px;
  text-align: center;
  overflow-wrap: break-word;
}

I recommend that you also go into the Site Styles panel (Design > Site Styles) and set your Mobile Breakpoint to 980px (the default is 640px). This will ensure the mobile navigation kicks in before the desktop navigation becomes squashed.

Let me know how you get on.

If this helps, please click "Like" below  ⬇️

This worked wonderfully.  Thank you!

• 2 years later...

Hi @paul2009 ,

I came across this old thread by the title. What I'm looking for is a bit different: would it be possible to use custom CSS to create navigation sub-menus the way that Alpha-Sense does: https://www.alpha-sense.com/

Specifically, to break sub-menus to columns (found a simple solution for that elsewhere), but also add text underneath individual menu items (see their Platform menu)? Also, as a bonus, potentially adding such an extra image/text/CTA section ("ad") within the submenu? Or column divider line like under Solutions?

Cheers,

Jimmy

11 minutes ago, JimmyT said:

would it be possible to use custom CSS to create navigation sub-menus the way that Alpha-Sense does

The example you've quoted is a WordPress site with what I'd describe as "mega menus".

Squarespace doesn't have a built-in "megamenu" solution but there are a number of third-party solutions available.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

• 4 months later...