How do I add the blog year to the Skye template?

This can be done with some Javascript. Read the datetime attribute, extract the year and append it to the date displayed in the date-callout. You'll need to find all matching elements if you want to do this on the blog list page, or just once if you only need it when the full blog article is being shown.

People in the community generally need a working link to the site to be able to provide a working solution.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 5 weeks later...

I know this post is a little old, but since I just spent the time doing it, here's some code you can inject into the page header to add the year to the date output on Skye's blog listings. You'll want to add it to the "Page Header Code Injection" area (for the blog listing page, not on an individual blog post).

<style type="text/css">
.day:after {
  content: ',';
}
</style>
<script
  src="https://code.jquery.com/jquery-3.4.1.min.js"
  integrity="sha256-CSXorXvZcTkaix6Yvo6HppcZGetbYMGWSFlBw8HfCJo="
  crossorigin="anonymous"></script>
window.onload = init;

function init() {
    var $year = $('.dt-published').map(function() {
  return $(this).attr('datetime').substr(0,4);
}).get();

$( '.date-wrapper' ).each( function ( i ) {
        $( this ).append( '<span class="year">' + $year[i] + '</span>');
    });
}
</script>

Hopefully others get some benefit from it!

Edited by kristi-lynn
Updated Jquery version
19 minutes ago, kristi-lynn said:

<script src="//code.jquery.com/jquery-2.2.1.min.js"></script>

@kristi-lynnIf your code requires jQuery, I recommend you swap for the latest production release (3.4.1 at the time of writing).

The older version you've posted has two medium-severity security vulnerabilities

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 6 months later...

Unfortunately, this does not work. All it does it put a "," after the month/day, then displays plain-text Javascript at the top of the page.

I figured out why.. you need to add an opening <script> tag before window.onload. So it should look like this:

<style type="text/css">
.day:after {
  content: ',';
}
</style>
<script
  src="https://code.jquery.com/jquery-3.4.1.min.js"
  integrity="sha256-CSXorXvZcTkaix6Yvo6HppcZGetbYMGWSFlBw8HfCJo="
  crossorigin="anonymous"></script>
<script>
window.onload = init;

function init() {
    var $year = $('.dt-published').map(function() {
  return $(this).attr('datetime').substr(0,4);
}).get();

$( '.date-wrapper' ).each( function ( i ) {
        $( this ).append( '<span class="year">' + $year[i] + '</span>');
    });
}
</script>

(Who makes a blog template that doesn't display the year anyway?!)

Edited by DPenwood
  • 1 year later...

Hi everyone, I've gone through the steps above and I'm running into a weird little glitch. I'd like to run a script that will have the year included on all blog posts via the Page Header.

I have the script above pasted into the Page Header Code Injection with the latest version of JQuery (3.6.0). I have infinite scroll off as the glitch appears to start at exactly the location where "load more" shows up. It was doing this with infinite scroll on or off, I just didn't realize that it was exactly that break until I turned infinite scroll off.

http://samraj.ca/latest

I've been able to get the date and year to show up on the header, however, at the "load more" section (after about 20 posts), the year stops showing up.

Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated!

Kris.

That’s because it only triggers once on page load. It needs to be rewritten to use a mutation observer that looks for additions to the page (new dates added) and then modified the new dates too. 

14 hours ago, krissamraj said:

Hi everyone, I've gone through the steps above and I'm running into a weird little glitch. I'd like to run a script that will have the year included on all blog posts via the Page Header.

I have the script above pasted into the Page Header Code Injection with the latest version of JQuery (3.6.0). I have infinite scroll off as the glitch appears to start at exactly the location where "load more" shows up. It was doing this with infinite scroll on or off, I just didn't realize that it was exactly that break until I turned infinite scroll off.

http://samraj.ca/latest

I've been able to get the date and year to show up on the header, however, at the "load more" section (after about 20 posts), the year stops showing up.

Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated!

Kris.

You can use ready plugin ryanmorr/ready: Detect element availability on the initial page load and those dynamically appended to the DOM (github.com)

ready('.dt-published.date-callout', (element) => {
    /* Blog year handling code here */
});

BeyondSpace - Squarespace Website Developer

🖼️ Lightbox Studio (Enable Pinch/Zoom on lightbox)
🗓️ Delivery Date Picker (Squarespace Date picker form field)
💫 Gallery block 7.1 workaround
🥳 Sparkplugin Customisations Browsers (Browse +100 Spark plugin customisations)
🥳 Elfsight Template Browsers (Browse +1000 Elfsight widget Templates)

If you find my answer useful, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you!

• 10 months later...

Hello,

Anyone have the latest news or forum discussion link on the missing publish year in the date display on blog posts? I am using the Nolan template.

I'd prefer not to use code as it has to work across all browsers and viewports and I'd prefer not to test for ALL that. I would hope that SqSp would have this on their radar if indeed it's a bug and not something I've failed to troubleshoot.

Thanks,

Hally

6 minutes ago, HallyB said:

Anyone have the latest news or forum discussion link on the missing publish year in the date display on blog posts? I would hope that SqSp would have this on their radar if indeed it's a bug

This was a design choice made by the designer of that feature. It is not a bug. There are no plans to override this format choice so you'll need to use custom code if you wish to do so.

If this post has helped you, please click a 'Like' or 'Thanks' icon below  ⬇️

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, cameronoutridge said:

do you reckon it would be possible to list some other info in that circle and not the date ... eg tags or a phone number?

Yes, if that information is available in the page markup, although it’s probably easier to create a new but similarly styled element