Non-refundable Deposit Feature

Hello all,

I am currently setting up my new site and I have run into a roadblock. I am a travel agent for Egypt Tours and my business model requires that I secure a non-refundable deposit of $400 per person, before the customers final purchase (the full or remaining purchase is charged at a later date). However, on the Squarespace format I have not found the option to do this. Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions, whether that be through Squarespace, PayPal, Stripe, or any other means.

Thank you for the help.

Edited by Ashraf
  • 4 months later...
31 minutes ago, D8NMT said:

we just want to take a deposit of say £300.

You can add a Service Product, with a price of £300. Does this not suit your needs?

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Just now, paul2009 said:

You can add a Service Product, with a price of £300. Does this not suit your needs?

Ideally, I wanted the customer to see the actual price as there are variants.

For example, my service is organised trips, the prices vary depending on the number of people in the party.  So using the price variants allows the customer to select the no. of people and  see the correct price.

Also, by setting all the prices at £300 means that in the summary view, the customers cant see the actual price (as it displays £300).  I would have to write the actual price as part of the description?

• 3 weeks later...

I also need this feature. My clients often would prefer to browse and purchase their photo session or package online but I don't require full payment upfront. Is there a way to add this feature? For example a $1,250 session requires 25% upfront then the balance.

• 1 month later...

I really need this feature also! I can't believe Squarespace does not have a deposit feature.

I need to charge a deposit for custom gowns and then apply that credit later towards their final purchase -  similar to how a gift card works. Entering a gift card code does not change the taxable total. I wish there was a deposit feature that worked similarly. 

Does anyone know if you can change the wording on the gift card emails/notifications with code?

• 5 months later...

I think you need to add this feature.  I am a farmer, I require a non-refundable deposit on all whole fresh birds, as I only harvest to order.  I am currently using a second service on top of Squarespace to so this.  It is cumbersome and expensive.  I want to be able to specify a non-refundable deposit for each and any item, and send an invoice for the balance once I have the final price (based on animal weight) minus the deposit.  I know your program cannot do this now, I respectfully recommend you add this feature.

• 2 months later...

I also very much need a deposit function!!!

As a travel company, we offer yoga & culinary retreats at many different price points depending on location and lodging. Having a separate service item or variant for the deposit and another for the balance payment for for every single lodging style for every single retreat is not at all client friendly. It's so cumbersome. I can just see all the confused emails we'll be getting from clients trying to navigate it.

Please let me know if anyone finds a plugin or developer who can help create a deposit function. Thanks! 

Edited by LaurenLalita
typo
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I need this too.

I sell tours. I need the ability to sell holiday as a product and offer:

1. Variants of: single, twin, double
  2. Early Bird discount
  3. Deposit of either a percentage or an amount off the total price

I have been needing this for 3 years. Let me know if you find a way.

At the moment I can only put variants on sale, which is not the same thing.

PLEASE SQUARESPACE FIX THIS. WITH THE 7.1 UPGRADE I AM DISAPPOINTED I CAN'T DO THIS. 

Edited by HimalayanDream
  • 4 weeks later...

It's s a much needed feature, YES. I had an idea to solve it. But it has a drawback. The idea is to create a product that is  the amount owed after deposit, only. In the description text, state the deposit amount, but it's just in the description. So it says : Total, X less deposit X,  amount due X. " Create a password protected page and put that product in it. Send an email with a link, the password, and a request to complete payment. After the payment, you can make the product hidden until you need it. You can change the password, change the amount, or you can create a series of "completion" products of different value amounts that you turn on and off as needed. The drawback is that the "product" cannot be totally hidden from public view. But who will likely find it or buy it anyway? Imperfect, but doable, at least.

Feature request number two: Hidden from general public products that can be bought. Even if the "shop" is not linked , Can't do it without the potential someone will find and  try to buy what they think is a product for general sale. 

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...

+1 for this feature as well! I need to take a deposit on bookings and accept the balance of the payment later. Has anyone found a plugin that can help with this or investigated building one?

Would be interested to work with someone on the definition and build of such a plugin if anyone is interested...