Form submission error

I keep getting error emails of mailchimp-squarespace connecting 

You have an unsaved Form Block submission

Your most recent submission to the "Subscribe" form on Cristina Arango didn’t save to your storage method (Mailchimp List). This may be the result of a connection issue between your site and your storage service.

I have follow the troubleshoot and doesn't work 

Please help!

I run into this all the time. I wish Squarespace would give some error text, as opposed to just something went wrong. Would make life a lot easier.

I fix this by disconnecting/reconnecting. Many times it's been caused by us mucking with the mailchimp list, though I'm not sure what exactly we did to the list to cause it. It does seem fragile. Perhaps Squarespace wants us all to move to their email campaigns... 🤔

I have the same issue with the newsletter block connecting to MailChimp, but it is erratic:

1) Some new entries post fine to MailChimp and some fail, for no obvious reason.

2) When I am notified of a failed posting (unsaved form submission) I immediately test entering a fake subscription and it posts to MailChimp fine, so why are some entries failing?

3) I have tried a MailChimp disconnect/reconnect a number of times, no joy.

4) I have opened a case for the issue.

5) Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

I second what @BigJosh says. Also, make sure you've connected your Squarespace site in Mailchimp and added that code to Squarespace. You can find the exact steps here

christyprice.com  🇺🇸 Austin, TX US 

Get my 100+ item Client Process Checklist for $17.
📔 Flourish Journal for Creative Entrepreneurs - 365 days of prompts
🎥 Watch Circle Live: Hello Income (feat. Christy Price and Jeremy Schwartz)
🎬 Watch It's Not Hard to Say Goodbye: Crafting Client Offboarding from Circle Day 2023

• 4 months later...

Thanks all. I've been having problems with MailChimp integration too. Any updates?

• I've been following the troubleshooting guide.
  • The results and steps taken identical to @DanC
  • I'm using google sheets as a backup, as suggested.

Further reading brought me to this:

"To use Mailchimp as a storage option, it will need to connect to a new, empty Mailchimp audience. Form Blocks and Newsletter Blocks can't be used with existing Mailchimp audiences."

"...To connect multiple Form or Newsletter Blocks to the same Mailchimp audience, keep the form fields and settings exactly the same between the blocks. Any differences can cause form submissions to be dropped/rejected by Mailchimp."
- source

That first part can't be correct. It contradicts the whole reconnection fix.

The 2nd part: Does this mean I cannot connect a newsletter subscription, and a contact form which includes a subscription to the same list in MailChimp now or something?

I've been using the same forms and MailChimp audience for five years without issues. I've only started receiving this error this winter.

Squarespace support has confirmed this. One can just start ignoring these messages from Squarespace. The problem with this is if there were a real problem with the Mailchimp connection one would never know. It's just not practical to check every one of these messages. Mailchimp should be giving Squarespace a reason for the rejection, I've requested this be included in the email message so they can be easily filtered out.

• 9 months later...

Still having this issue and I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting the MailChimp account, adding the site to MailChimp and still continue to have issues. The errors are random .. maybe 1 out of 4 new subscribers. 

One SquareSpace tech support said "MailChimp thinks its a spam account" ... I went to MailChimp but they don't offer support to free accounts. 😒

Anybody find a workaround?

25 minutes ago, ideasblossommedia said:

The errors are random .. maybe 1 out of 4 new subscribers. 

Check the email addresses against a spam database. If they have been reported for spam, this is the issue and you can ignore the notifications. 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, ideasblossommedia said:

it doesn't happen to all of them, its random.

In my experience it isn't random. The specific email addresses (the full email address - not the domain) are listed on spam databases and are therefore rejected by Mailchimp. Have you checked any of them?

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 7 months later...
On 11/6/2021 at 9:27 PM, JasonGipson said:

I realize this thread is a bit old but I'm wondering. What setting controls who receives these notifications?  

I think it send to admin of the site?

BeyondSpace - Squarespace Website Developer

🖼️ Lightbox Studio (Enable Pinch/Zoom on lightbox)
🗓️ Delivery Date Picker (Squarespace Date picker form field)
💫 Gallery block 7.1 workaround
🥳 Sparkplugin Customisations Browsers (Browse +100 Spark plugin customisations)
🥳 Elfsight Template Browsers (Browse +1000 Elfsight widget Templates)

If you find my answer useful, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you!

• 2 months later...

I know this is an older thread, but I recently found a solution that worked for me. Hopefully this will help someone with this issue in the future.

The Problem

For me, this was caused by my custom domain I'm using to send emails via mailchimp, e.g. info@mycustomdomain.com. The problem is that I had not authenticated this domain.

According to MailChimp:

Inbox Service Providers (ISPs) like Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail and many others want to make sure that email sent to their users is legitimate. There are security processes and protocols ISPs use to help filter malicious users and spam. To learn more about domain authentication, check out our guide.

What I believe was happening was:
1. My subscribers' ISP's were rejecting the subscription with an error
2. MailChimp sends that error to SquareSpace

3. SquareSpace sends a super vague and unhelpful email to you telling you that your subscribers are not persisted

The Solution

Follow this guide on MailChimp to authenticate your custom domain: https://mailchimp.com/help/set-up-email-domain-authentication/

You will have to add some DNS records to your custom domain.

I have not had a single form submission error email since.

Edited by MishaH