CSS only working while editor is open

Hi there,

I've got a weird one, this little bit of code to add a sitewide bg image works on all pages while the custom css editor is open, but after saving and closing the editor, and navigating elsewhere on the website, the bg image no longer shows on any pages.

All of the other custom css above it still works, and I've tried shifting it to different places in the overall code, but still the same result.

Am I doing something daft here?

#siteWrapper {
     background-image: url("/s/SoWE-Logo-BG-white-Alpha3.png?");
     background-repeat: no-repeat;
     background-position: center center !important;
     background-size: cover;
}

Cheers for your help - if it's not obvious in the code, I can supply the site.

- Fraser

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@FraserWilkinson You can open page after saving. Press F12 on your keyboard. Then click tab Console. You will see Error Message

I guess image url has problem.

Difficult to help without site url. Can you share link to your site?

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

@tuanphan thanks for your reply, and you're absolutely right:

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 ()    SoWELogoBGWhiteAlpha3.png:1 

Digging deeper it says that https://static1.squarespace.com/s/SoWELogoBGWhiteAlpha3.png?  is 0B and throwing 404

This is my first Squarespsce site - soweglobal.com - and to create the image URL to use in the background I made a new not linked page as a link > link settings > file > upload file > select file > save

Then I used the resulting URL in the CSS 

Is there a better way to create an image URL?

Cheers for your help!

Fraser

@FraserWilkinson Go to Home > Design > Custom CSS > Scroll down > Click Manage Custom File > Upload your image > Wait 1 minutes > Put the cursor at 

background-image: url("put cursor here"); > Click image you uploaded > Squarespace will automatically paste image url.

Or send to forum message

• 4 months later...

Hi @tuanphan, I hope it's okay that I piggyback on this post. I'm having the same issue — Custom CSS modifications are only displaying when I have the editor open. As soon as I close it, it reverts to the original styling... Actually, now that I'm testing it to be sure, it seems that it sticks to the new styling but only if I've opened the editor first, almost as if to remind it of the changes I made. GRR!

I tried the F12 trick, but I must be missing something. It's the Volume Up button on my keyboard and that's the only thing it wants to do for me. 

I would so greatly appreciate your help! Site URL is https://echidna-hyperboloid-8gws.squarespace.com/

Just now, mbockmaster said:

Hi @tuanphan, I hope it's okay that I piggyback on this post. I'm having the same issue — Custom CSS modifications are only displaying when I have the editor open. As soon as I close it, it reverts to the original styling... Actually, now that I'm testing it to be sure, it seems that it sticks to the new styling but only if I've opened the editor first, almost as if to remind it of the changes I made. GRR!

I tried the F12 trick, but I must be missing something. It's the Volume Up button on my keyboard and that's the only thing it wants to do for me. 

I would so greatly appreciate your help! Site URL is https://echidna-hyperboloid-8gws.squarespace.com/

Can you post css here? also your site is private. You can setup password & share url

Or send to forum message

@tuanphan Oops! There we go, that should work. Apologies, my first Squarespace site! Password is illumewellnessspa.

My CSS is below:

//* SHOP FILTER STYLING *//
.custom-filter-container.custom-filter-view-dropdowns .sqs-block-archive .archive-block-wrapper {
  background-color: #ffffff !important;
  border-bottom: 1px solid #d4d4d4;
}
.icn-down-open {
     display: none !important; 
}
.filterValues {
  display: none;
}
.archive-dropdown-toggle-label {
  font-weight: 300;
  text-transform: uppercase;
  letter-spacing: 0.1em;
}
.custom-filter-container .filterDropdown.sqs-block-archive .archive-group-name-link.active, .custom-filter-container .sortDropdown.sqs-block-archive .archive-group-name-link.active {
  color: #73A94E;
}
.sqs-search-ui-button-wrapper.color-dark .search-input {
  border: 1px solid #d4d4d4 !important;
}
.custom-filter-container .mobile-filter-trigger {
  border: 1px solid #d4d4d4;
  padding: 10px 25px;
  border-radius: 0;
}
  @media only screen and (max-width: 500px)
  {
    .custom-filter-container.use-mobile-panel.custom-filter-uid-0 .customFiltersWrapper {
    } 
  }

Just now, mbockmaster said:

@tuanphan Oops! There we go, that should work. Apologies, my first Squarespace site! Password is illumewellnessspa.

My CSS is below:

//* SHOP FILTER STYLING *//
.custom-filter-container.custom-filter-view-dropdowns .sqs-block-archive .archive-block-wrapper {
  background-color: #ffffff !important;
  border-bottom: 1px solid #d4d4d4;
}
.icn-down-open {
     display: none !important; 
}
.filterValues {
  display: none;
}
.archive-dropdown-toggle-label {
  text-transform: uppercase;
}
.custom-filter-container .filterDropdown.sqs-block-archive .archive-group-name-link.active, .custom-filter-container .sortDropdown.sqs-block-archive .archive-group-name-link.active {
  color: #73A94E;
}
.sqs-search-ui-button-wrapper.color-dark .search-input {
}
.custom-filter-container .mobile-filter-trigger {
  border: 1px solid #d4d4d4;
  padding: 10px 25px;
  border-radius: 0;
}
  @media only screen and (max-width: 500px)
  {
    .custom-filter-container.use-mobile-panel.custom-filter-uid-0 .customFiltersWrapper {
    } 
  }

What do you use this CSS for? Can you describe in detail?

Or send to forum message

@tuanphan Absolutely. So I purchased a plugin from Squarespacewebsites called Universal Filter, so that I could add additional filters to my products page. I used CSS to style the drop down filters differently than the original — I changed the background colour, added borders, and changed the text styles in the filter drop downs.

1 minute ago, mbockmaster said:

@tuanphan Absolutely. So I purchased a plugin from Squarespacewebsites called Ultimate Filter, so that I could add additional filters to my products page. I used CSS to style the drop down filters differently than the original — I changed the background colour, added borders, and changed the text styles in the filter drop downs.

I don't see filter. Where is it?

Or send to forum message

Archived