Add To Calendar link on Event pages

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Hello,

I'm wanting to have an "add to calendar" link on my event pages that allows people to automatically add the event to their calendar.

I've used a third party plug-in called Eventable, which generates a code (which I've inserted using the code block) - but wondering if any clever people out there know a better way to do this as it's completely new to me and I don't really love the look of it at the moment. 

Brine template 

https://celery-recorder-da9w.squarespace.com

Password: BLUE

Thanks,

Emily

• Solution

There's already a built-in feature to show links on Event Pages that allow you to add the event using Google Calendar or iCal. You can usually enable this in Site Styles using the tweak Show Export Links. For more information see Styling the Events Page.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 4 months later...

Hi @paul2009

Thanks for all your helpful content here in the squarespace community. I was wondering if you knew how to add a calendar description (rather than just event title) to google calendar from event pages? I've already turned on the export tools for google/ICS but it only shows the event TITLE, and no other details. It would be helpful to be able to be able to add a confirmation message and other event details to the squarespace event page so that it automatically carries over to their calendar when they click the export links. Any ideas? Thank you! Anique 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

@emily.klein, I am struggling with this too and I think you've found the best solution. Eventable is a glitchy system though and it fails to load for me frequently.

Also when I add the code it comes in as text instead of a button. 

Wish squarespace would solve for this. There is no point of adding an event to a calendar if you can't include things like streaming links and descriptions.

Don't get me wrong we can do so much but this one is a challenge right now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem. A title in the calendar is no good without a description and a link.

I also saw the poor reviews for Eventable. An 8 hour lag in events showing up on the client's calendar was one complaint. No free trial with Eventable, which is probably because it has these problems.

• Susana_SQSP changed the title to Add To Calendar link on Event pages
  • 8 months later...
On 11/28/2019 at 4:48 AM, paul2009 said:

There's already a built-in feature to show links on Event Pages that allow you to add the event using Google Calendar or iCal. You can usually enable this in Site Styles using the tweak Show Export Links. For more information see Styling the Events Page.

For the life of me I couldn't find this earlier today. Thank you!

• 9 months later...
On 11/28/2019 at 4:48 AM, paul2009 said:

Is this still available? I'm not seeing it anymore on the latest version of Squarespace.

• 4 months later...

This has been my work around:

I create a calendar invite in icily or google calendar 

send it to myself (so i have a the data file needed)

Check my email and save that data file the was attached to a public Dropbox folder.

Then create a download link to that data file in dropbox.

That link you just created is your new link to add to your page.

When Visitor clicks that link it downloads the event data and add it to their calendar.

Done.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

FYI - it is still working on my events but it's not ideal. The fact it's only in text and the location means it doesn't stand out. Also of note if you add any code for accessibility widgets your iCal links will not work.

I've used AddEvent and Eventable (acquired by AddEvent) and it works but yes the Free Eventable Feature is so glitchy it hurts.

• 4 months later...

I was able to figure out a halfway decent workaround using Google Calendar's built-in features:

Step 1: Create an event on your GCal

Step 2: In the ••• menu, click on Publish Event

Step 3: In the popup modal, copy the HTML from the top box

Step 4: In Sqsp, add a code block and drop in that HTML you copied

Voila: A little Google Calendar button will appear on your Sqsp page, and when someone click the button, it takes them to add it to their GCal, and the Zoom links or other details you added to your original GCal event will carry over to their Gcal event too. Screenshots attached bellow of the steps and what it looks like in each step.

Now I just wish I had a similar fix for the iCal issue! 😅

cc @emily.klein @lrcss @JessCC @Sarah-W @aniquecoffee1

1 - publish event in g cal.png

2 - copy html code and embed it in sqsp.png

3 - a little g cal button appears.png

4 - user added the event to their gcal.png

Edited by lightbulbmoments
  • 8 months later...

hey, great workaround with the HTML code... however, is there a tweak that would center the button. I like how the button blocks have formatting options, but this code is a tiny button and aligned left. Thanks in advance :)

On 4/16/2023 at 12:16 PM, lightbulbmoments said:

I was able to figure out a halfway decent workaround using Google Calendar's built-in features:

Step 1: Create an event on your GCal

Step 2: In the ••• menu, click on Publish Event

Step 3: In the popup modal, copy the HTML from the top box

Step 4: In Sqsp, add a code block and drop in that HTML you copied

Voila: A little Google Calendar button will appear on your Sqsp page, and when someone click the button, it takes them to add it to their GCal, and the Zoom links or other details you added to your original GCal event will carry over to their Gcal event too. Screenshots attached bellow of the steps and what it looks like in each step.

Now I just wish I had a similar fix for the iCal issue! 😅

cc @emily.klein @lrcss @JessCC @Sarah-W @aniquecoffee1

1 - publish event in g cal.png

2 - copy html code and embed it in sqsp.png

3 - a little g cal button appears.png

4 - user added the event to their gcal.png