Custom Payment

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Hello,

I'm working on a payment process that requires a large variation of possible prices, so many that it makes creating different products and variants too difficult to manage. Each customer receives a contract with a calculated price prior to coming to the page to make a payment. What we are looking for is the ability to allow the customer to enter the price directly as stated in the contract - similar to a donation block - then pass that information to the paypal integration for payment. We considered using the donation bock, but that has tax implication and forces, or so it seems, donation verbiage into the process which can cause confusion. 

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Thank you!

Edited by tglanton
  • Solution

Squarespace isn’t a suitable platform for this requirement. You’ll need to embed a completely different payment method to be able to do this, whereas some other platforms allow variable payments. 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Interestingly enough, I spent about an hour today fiddling around with my site attempting to do exactly what you said. My business offers services not products to purchase. Therefore, I send invoices to my clients that could be any random amount depending on the work being done. I wanted a simple way for clients to go to my website to pay their invoices. I also tried turning the “donation” block into a “payment” block, but as you mentioned it wouldn't work without causing other issues and confusion. I ended up doing a live-chat with Squarespace asking if there was anything I could do to set up a simple “make a payment” process and was advised they don’t have a way to do that. I find it odd this isn’t possible to do as it seems something simple that many businesses would use and that would require very little for Squarespace to implement. They could tweek the “donation” wording around and a few other things and there you go! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/16/2019 at 5:25 PM, TSTrip said:

Does anyone know of a plugin or other workaround that will allow customers to enter their own payment amount? 

@TSTrip It isn't possible for customers to enter their own amount into the Squarespace payment processing with Stripe or PayPal, with or without code/plugins/extensions.

For that you'll need to accept payments using a third-party "payment" solution that is separate from Squarespace, or a third party "forms" product, like JotForm (other form providers are available).  

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

To be clear, none of them will "integrate" with Squarespace but they can be linked from the Squarespace site and often embedded on it. One example is JotForm.

Edited by paul2009

• 1 year later...

Has anyone tried allowing a customer to input their own custom amount by charging multiple quantity at $100 and multiple quantity at $1.  This way if they wanted to pay $1535, then they would my 15 quantity of $100 service and 35 quantity of the $1 service.  Bad way to work around but I am thinking about trying it as a way around it.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been doing something for a couple of years now that may help you guys, but yes, it doesn't seem as professional as being able to EITHER: Create a manual order for a client to use the link and go ahead and pay the order, or be able to order with a custom pricing that they type (that we've agreed to).
We're really just asking for invoicing and how fucking difficult is that? lol.

Anyway, I added a product to my store that is $1. I then allow the quantity field to be edited and have them change THAT to the $ value we agreed upon. I've never seen additional fees doing this as it's a digital product.
I then in CSS convert the text "quantity" to what ever text you want. I went with "Agreed upon price". It's the only way i've been able to get around it.

Squarespace markets themselves for creatives and service sellers but come on... No manual order creation for easy buyer payments, or just straight up easy invoicing. Come on, this is 2021, we've been asking for it for years. It's not a hard thing to do when most of the bones are already in SS's system.

• 7 months later...

If you happen to use Square (I'm sure the others provide this as well), you can simply create a payment URL that allows customers to add any amount. You can also add a custom field for "Invoice Number" so that info is captured with the payment. Add that URL to a button on your website and you're good to go! I use this for my tax/accounting clients who provide services so they can offer online payments to their customers.

• 2 weeks later...