How to remove link tag rel="alternate" from blog page head

I have a squarespace site as my main home page for my new podcast, but i use a dedicated podcast host (simplecast) to actually host my episodes and provide the rss feed.  Most Podcast platforms (Apple, spotify, etc) simply require registering that feed, in order to get a show listed.  However Google Podcasts, has no submission process, they just scrape sites and look for specific criteria.  Namely that the home page url in the podcast feed points to a page that has a corresponding <link> tag of rel type "alternate" that has a url pointing to the feed.  So they're effectively pointing at each other.  That's their way of confirming association, and thus get listed on their service.  However they require there only be ONE <link> tag of rel type "alternate".  I've added the link tag with my feed via code injection to the head of my page.  But Squarespace's Blog page is adding its own for the Blog RSS, which i don't want.  There doesn't seem to be away to disable the blog rss feed via settings.  Does anyone know how to remove that SS link tag via code injection script? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Google Podcasts requirements: https://developers.google.com/search/reference/podcast/homepage-requirements

• Replies 6
  • Views 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You cannot remove code from the head section as it is controlled by the backend, to which you have no access. You may want to contact Squarespace Customer Care to point out the issue and see if they have any suggestions. If not, you could raise this with them as a feature request. 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

3 hours ago, paul2009 said:

You cannot remove code from the head section as it is controlled by the backend, to which you have no access. You may want to contact Squarespace Customer Care to point out the issue and see if they have any suggestions. If not, you could raise this with them as a feature request. 

Thanks for the reply.  I did reach out to Customer Care, and they said they don't provide the feature.  I asked them about a code injection "hack" to temporarily address it, and they told me i should try here to see if anyone has any suggestions, since they don't provide support for custom code.  How would i go about requesting that as a feature?

The same way unfortunately; through a Customer Care ticket.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

3 hours ago, paul2009 said:

You cannot remove code from the head section as it is controlled by the backend, to which you have no access. 

This code in the header via code injection allowed me to remove the link tag.  I'm not sure if it'll be effective with Google's scraping of the site.  I guess that will depend on whether they run scripts with their bots in the same way a loading browser does.  But beyond that, can you think of anything wrong with this code?

<script src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/3.4.1/jquery.min.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
  $("link[rel='alternate'][title='RSS Feed']").remove();
</script>

• 1 year later...

Not sure if either of you will see my post, given that this thread is several years old, but I'm actually in a pretty similar situation as you were, Michael, so I'm trying to figure out how to fix my issue. I also have a Squarespace podcast website with audio and an RSS feed that's hosted elsewhere. But I also have a blog on my site, which I use to post updates whenever I release a new episode. Although I doubt many people are subscribed to it through a blog reader (do people still use those?), I would like to continue to give folks the option if they choose. But are you saying that I'll need to disable my blog RSS feed in order for Google Podcasts to properly list my show? Also, to clarify, when you showed the code that you entered into the header via code injection to remove the link tag from your blog, did you insert that in the header of the whole site, or just the header on the blog page?

Google Podcast is actually already including my show, but it's not coming up the way it should, so I'm wondering if making this change might fix the situation.

Scott

Archived