Klarna payment integration

Go to solution Solved by Jo_SQSP,

Hi all,

I have recently registered with Klarna to offer pay later options in my Squarespace store. I haven't done my research prior, but was sure I will be able to somehow custom code Klarna payments into my store - I was wrong. I've put a job post up on people per hour and upwork, and received a few proposals from developers. Before continuing I thought I'd better check with Squarespace directly and I learnt it is not possible to integrate Klarna at all at this stage :(

I was wondering whether anyone has found some workaround? I read there is Shopify cart integration way, but I don't really like it.

I think it would be a very valuable feature for a lot of people up here if we could simply just integrate Klarna in similar way to Paypal and Stripe. This payment method would be very useful to me and most of the other shopping platforms already offer this integration.

On 11/26/2019 at 10:52 AM, Bartosz_106 said:

I think it would be a very valuable feature for a lot of people up here if we could simply just integrate Klarna in similar way to Paypal and Stripe.

It isn't possible for anyone - including professional developers - to integrate a new payment processor or payment method into the Squarespace ecommerce system. This aspect is under Squarespace control.

To explain, Squarespace is slightly different to other web hosting platforms because it is "serverless". This makes it much easier for you to build a website or an online store with technical knowledge and it ensures that your site will keep running safely and securely because there's a team at Squarespace who take of all the technical infrastructure for you! For them to do this whilst keeping payments secure and compliant, they lockdown the checkout and payment systems and don't allow you to change them.

It will take time for Squarespace to integrate new payment methods and I think it's highly unlikely that Squarespace will integrate Klarna any time soon. If you really need this particular service then the only workaround is to use an alternative e-commerce checkout on your Squarespace site (such as Shopify Buy Buttons), or move to another platform that supports it (like Shopify). If it helps, I wrote about how to do this here: How to add Afterpay or Klarna to Squarespace.

Update February 2021: Squarespace added Afterpay as an option in the US, Australia and New Zealand. PayPal Pay-in-3 is available in the UK.

Edited by paul2009
Features added Feb 2021

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

We have the same problem. I had a lot of discussions with Squarespace. I think it's unfair that Squarespace does not point that out right from the start. We would have decided against it. It  would be better to create an own wordpress shop with the help of a theme (+pagebuilder)... in that case you also have not the problem to pay for every sell  3%.

In Germany it is super unusual to not have Klarna within an online-shop. 

Do you have any experience with Squarespace Developer Area? Are there people who can solve the problem?

https://developers.squarespace.com/

Edited by JuM
5 minutes ago, JuM said:

Do you have any Experience with Squarespace Developer area?

Yes @JuM but you cannot change payment methods on Squarespace Commerce with developer mode or code. Squarespace is a website builder not a hosting platform so you do not have access to the backend code like you would on WordPress or Drupal. The only current workaround is to embed an alternative commerce platform within Squarespace, and so I wrote an article about embedding Shopify Lite to take payments with Klarna. As @Bartosz_106commented, this isn't a perfect solution, but until Squarespace add Klarna to the platform, it is one of the only options available today for someone in invested in Squarespace who needs to accept payments this way.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 month later...

Hi @paul2009 Thank you for the information regarding connecting a Shopify product to a Squarespace store. I have a question regarding Facebook Pixels. Since, my product will now be pulling from Shopify but the face of the website will live on the Squarespace platform, where do I paste the Facebook pixel for tracking purposes? Do I place the Facebook pixel on Squarespace or Shopify? 

Also, by creating products on Shopify, after my free 14 day trial is over, will I have to pay the Shopify price of $30 a month on top of paying my monthly Squarespace rate? I know that you said $9.00 but I'm confused as to what cost $9.00....is it only the Shopify extension or after my 14 day trial is over, Shopify will only charge me a total of $9.00 to use their platform?

Regarding the costs...

The 'Basic Shopify' plan is currently (Dec 2019) $29/month. This includes a Shopify website.

They also offer a Shopify Lite plan at $9/month to allow you to embed Shopify in your own website using Shopify Buy Buttons.

I'll let others chime in on the Facebook Pixels question.

Edited by paul2009

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Is this anywhere on the product road map at all for 2020? Echoing everyone else here, it's a pretty common feature these days to be able to provide a split payment option to customers. Even if it's not Klarna specifically, is there any plans in the near future to introduce a payment offering of this type to the platform? 

Thanks!  

Edited by ZCT

I am waiting for the integration as well.
Although It is not for everyone, Wave payments is my solution, if you offer B2B services. On Wave I create a split payment invoice that allows my customers to activate auto pay and they love it. You don't end up making the sale through your website, which sucks, but you give the payment option and do not have to open a Shopify store and pay extra fees. 

I hope this helps even just some of you.

EmailSignature.png

• 1 month later...

Site URL: http://etric.co.uk

We are constantly being asked by customers for the option to pay using a finance platform such as Klarna.

There is currently only the shopify workaround and we would like to know if squarespace has plans to integrate this into their platform.

Our conversion rates would massively improve with this feature and cannot understand why this has not been implemented.

• 2 months later...
On 8/26/2020 at 1:06 PM, Roinek said:

Site URL: http://etric.co.uk

We are constantly being asked by customers for the option to pay using a finance platform such as Klarna.

There is currently only the shopify workaround and we would like to know if squarespace has plans to integrate this into their platform.

Our conversion rates would massively improve with this feature and cannot understand why this has not been implemented.

100% I'm falling behind my competition not having this functionality, I love Squarespace but if they are going to continue to do e-commerce they need to take it seriously and keep up with the competition.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, I'm trying to integrate Afterpay on my UK store, can you please tell me why this isn't working? I'm considering moving to shopify for the very reason that Squarespace doesn't have a BNPL option, so really hoping this can work. Thanks

On 2/26/2021 at 10:42 AM, Noacandles said:

I'm trying to integrate Afterpay on my UK store, can you please tell me why this isn't working?

Squarespace aren't supporting Clearpay (the name for Afterpay in the UK) just yet. It was launched this week in the US, Australia and New Zealand, with Canada following shortly afterwards, but the UK implementation is some way behind.

If you offer PayPal, your UK customers may be able to use Pay in 3, on certain products over £45. PayPal Pay in 3 allows customers to pay for purchases in three interest-free installments, but as a merchant, you'll see the payment as a standard Paypal payment.

Update Dec 2021: Clearpay has been added to Squarespace.

Edited by paul2009
Update when Clearpay added

• 4 months later...

Has something changed until today ? 2021
In Germany it is not common to pay via credit card. Klarna is very well represented.it would have been fair from Squarespace from the beginning to put this in the description. Then we would never have chosen this service. Why should I spend money again monthly for Spopify. NOT FAIR!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Same!  I LOVE my squarespace website. In fact I have 2 website but the lack of pay later option is pushing me to change. I wish there was at least some news of when this will be available in the UK as customers expect this and sales are lost. Its 2021.....

• 1 month later...

Some of this is on Stripe as a payment processor too - my business (jewelry) is on a long list of excluded products (scroll down to #7) - https://stripe.com/afterpay-clearpay/legal#restricted-businesses

None of these excluded products make any sense as most of them would be prime for using payment plans. I've submitted requests to Stripe 3 times now to adapt this list of excluded businesses and nothing. 

• 5 months later...
30 minutes ago, Palmwell said:

Any news on KLARNA? It is 2022 and still nothing

If you need Klarna in 2022, you’ll need to use an alternative solution.