Announcement Bar (Animation)

If you are trying to engage your audience, I encourage you to look at alternative design options in preference to anything that blinks or flashes. If not used properly, you could alienate the very people you want to attract. It can also be a problem for users with disabilities and is frowned upon by several accessibility standards.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

I agree with Paul. Having said that, I once had a client that insisted against my repeated advice. I managed to convince them to only have it blink a few times and only on the home page. Something like this:

.homepage .sqs-announcement-bar-dropzone {
  animation: flash 0.9s linear;
  animation-iteration-count: 4;
}

@keyframes flash {
  50% {opacity: 0.5;}
}

There may be better approaches, of course.

If a response helped you out, send a 'Like' 👍 (bottom-right) and/or 'Upvote' vote.jpg.c260784ece77aec852b0e3049c77a607.jpg (top-left)

• 2 years later...
On 11/18/2019 at 6:11 AM, paul2009 said:

If you are trying to engage your audience, I encourage you to look at alternative design options in preference to anything that blinks or flashes. If not used properly, you could alienate the very people you want to attract. It can also be a problem for users with disabilities and is frowned upon by several accessibility standards.

I have epilepsy and while not all flashing lights will trigger a seizure they will trigger a migraine most of the time and I always share sites that cause a reaction to my disability groups so people have a heads up.