Change Sender and Subject on Forms

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Hi, 

i’d like to know if there is a way to change the sender and subject lines from when customers submit forms.

Right now all submissions show ‘Squarespace’ as sender and ‘Form Submission - xxx’ as Subject.

is there anyway to change this? I’m willing to even pay for a third-party solution but I cannot find any.

Thanks in advance for your replies. 

Squarespace can’t do this but it may be possible to do this with an external email account and some automation like Zapier. It will depend on your requirements so you’ll need to be a little more specific. 

The first and most important thing to mention is that you cannot change the ‘from’ address for each email, for example to match the sender’s own email address. This is known as spoofing and it isn’t permitted. 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Hi Paul, 

Thank you so much for stopping by with your suggestion. Zapier does look a bit complex but I'm willing to go with it if it helps. About spoofing, I get what you mean. Don't worry, this is not that.

Here are more details of what we need:

Basically, our management receives Enquiries via our Squarespace form since about a month ago. They are used to see clearly what the email is about. So when they receive them, they don't want to see

Subject: 'Form Submission - Contact Form'

Instead, they would prefer to see

Subject: 'Contact Form' or 'Enquiry form'

they are even ok with From: 'FW: Form Submission - Contact Form'

Even if all enquiries read like that it's ok, as long as it is clear for them at a glance what the email is about.

I have tried creating a Gmail account to receive the form submissions and forward them, but Gmail's 'forwarding' just redirects email, so they look just like the original Squarespace emails.

I'm sort of at a loss now. Despite how happy they are with our new SS website, they are really annoyed with the way they receive email now.

Let me know if  you need any more details. Hope the above helps better explain my case.

Cheers!

• Solution

See this Zap:

zap-gmail.thumb.png.677031b589cfb2e107d6e1db76ec2449.png

If you configure your form to submit the details to a Google Sheet, you can then use this Zap to send an email to your inbox, where the "Name" and "Reply-to" fields (but not the email address) as well as the "Subject" of the email can represent the user's name, email address and the subject they entered when the completed the form.

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 5 months later...
On 11/17/2019 at 6:07 AM, estel77 said:

Instead, they would prefer to see

Subject: 'Contact Form' or 'Enquiry form'

they are even ok with From: 'FW: Form Submission - Contact Form'

Even if all enquiries read like that it's ok, as long as it is clear for them at a glance what the email is about.

I am trying to do this too.

Is it possible to make a radio button field into the subject line that appears in e-mails?  

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, CBB said:

Is it possible to make a radio button field into the subject line that appears in e-mails?  

There's nothing built in that will do this, but it is possible to do with JavaScript.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,,

I have just launched a new SqSp website and have come up with an issue for my customer.   Their old website contact form was mainly used for quotations and the name of the person requesting the quote was in the subject line.  It was therefore easy to scan the inbox to see different requests by prospective customer.

SqSp just has the subject as the name of the contact form and this does not vary by each contact, they all look the same in the inbox.  It looks like this is the topic of this forum post also.

So is is at all possible to have the name of the person using the contact form to be part of the subject line?  I understand that the From field has to be squarespace since that is where the email is coming from and has to be like this to avoid spam filters.

Paul - I understand the new spreadsheet line / create new email option but this adds a degree of complexity to the solution and is a potential point of failure which you would not want for people requesting quotes.

Thanks for any input on this one.

• 1 month later...

We have the same issue. We get customer inquiries with a subject saying "Form submission - contact form - Lorem ipsum...". When replying to that email to the customer, the subject line is not customer friendly and we need to remove the beginning by hand. 

It would be great if Squarespace could offer a way to define the subject of the email. 

This forum is not monitored for product feature requests. Those commenting (like me) are Squarespace customers too and so we are not in a position to improve the features provided by Squarespace. To ensure your feedback reaches the appropriate team at Squarespace it is best to raise a ticket through Customer Care

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have struggled with this too, but found a workaround that seems to do a good job. One of my clients also had a "Get a Quote" form and wanted their names in the subject line. It's not ideal, but you can keep the "Subject" section and then use placeholder text inside the box that says "First and Last Name". This forces their name into the subject line and keeps their email nice and organized. I was nervous people wouldn't understand, but he gets multiple forms filled out per day and everybody fills it out correctly. I think it's important to use "First and Last Name" INSIDE the box rather than as a description above. Hope this helps!

5 hours ago, rotanzdesign said:

I have struggled with this too, but found a workaround that seems to do a good job. One of my clients also had a "Get a Quote" form and wanted their names in the subject line. It's not ideal, but you can keep the "Subject" section and then use placeholder text inside the box that says "First and Last Name". This forces their name into the subject line and keeps their email nice and organized. I was nervous people wouldn't understand, but he gets multiple forms filled out per day and everybody fills it out correctly. I think it's important to use "First and Last Name" INSIDE the box rather than as a description above. Hope this helps!

Sound like a good trick, is subject just a text field with named SUBJECT that in in form default?

BeyondSpace - Squarespace Website Developer

🖼️ Lightbox Studio (Enable Pinch/Zoom on lightbox)
🗓️ Delivery Date Picker (Squarespace Date picker form field)
💫 Gallery block 7.1 workaround
🥳 Sparkplugin Customisations Browsers (Browse +100 Spark plugin customisations)
🥳 Elfsight Template Browsers (Browse +1000 Elfsight widget Templates)

If you find my answer useful, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, norasmacarons said:

What do you mean by "placeholder text"? How do I do that?

Thanks for your time!

placeholder text in the form

image.png.9ceb911836f3195d0f1d82cd76290ecb.png

BeyondSpace - Squarespace Website Developer

🖼️ Lightbox Studio (Enable Pinch/Zoom on lightbox)
🗓️ Delivery Date Picker (Squarespace Date picker form field)
💫 Gallery block 7.1 workaround
🥳 Sparkplugin Customisations Browsers (Browse +100 Spark plugin customisations)
🥳 Elfsight Template Browsers (Browse +1000 Elfsight widget Templates)

If you find my answer useful, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you!

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, kellijayne said:

Has anyone figured out an answer to this besides Zapier???

The emails are being assembled by SS on their backend which we don't have access to and SS doesn't provide an interface to customize the wrapper that goes around your form data.

The only way to alter it is to use something like Zapier or Google.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.