Local Pick-Up Shipping Causing Problems

I've been running into an issue with offering free local pick-up to those eligible by zip code. Because the local pick-up shipping option is free, it becomes the default. What I've been finding is customers who have that shipping option available to them don't realize there is a local pick-up option and they breeze over the shipping option choices. When I get an order with the local pick-up option chosen, I end up emailing the customer ensure they meant to "choose" that option. More often than not they didn't even realize it and then I have to figure out a way to charge shipping second hand.

I want to offer a free local pick-up but I also want that choice to be a conscious decision (I don't want it to be the default). 

Does anyone have a creative work around they could share? I had thought about charging shipping and then refunding but that is too inefficient and the cost of shipping is such a barrier to purchasing, especially for my local customers.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@csnyder here's what I posted in November 2018; nothing has changed:

Sadly you can’t do this on Squarespace yet. It’s one of those features that is sadly lacking.

If you have multiple shipping options, they appear in ascending order by price with the least expensive option appearing first and selected by default! If you have a “Free Shipping” or “Free Collection” Flat Rate option, it will be the default option available to every customer checking out. It’s your worst nightmare.

The shipping options don’t appear until the checkout page either. As this page is locked to prevent code changes (even to developers) we can’t code around the problem on Squarespace.

Sorry this isn’t what you wanted to hear. Shopify offers better features in this area right now but that probably doesn’t help unless you’re just starting out.

@SCARFSHOP There are a number of documented UX concerns with the Squarespace checkout. The default delivery option and the Apple Pay issue are just two of them and both have been discussed on the forum before, but neither has been fixed.

To add your collective weight behind the requests for these features, you can make a feature request by raising a ticket through Customer Care. They'll document your feedback and share it with the appropriate team. This forum is not monitored for product feature requests.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

I am having the same issue. I was on various chats for hours only to determine what you all just said.  The customer service rep with whom I was chatting sent in a request to the developer team to update this functionality.  It's hard to determine a platform's issues without getting deep into the project  -- when switching to Shopify is not an option. Huge bummer. 

We had the same issue. What we did with our site is removed that "shipping" option, and instead added a coupon code for local pickup that makes it free shipping. Not as smooth, but at least we don't have to keep contacting people from 1000 miles away and letting them know that local pickup isn't an option.

• 1 month later...
On 11/13/2019 at 2:20 PM, Aseykay said:

We had the same issue. What we did with our site is removed that "shipping" option, and instead added a coupon code for local pickup that makes it free shipping. Not as smooth, but at least we don't have to keep contacting people from 1000 miles away and letting them know that local pickup isn't an option.

@Aseykay

can you elaborate a bit more on how you did this? i have a client that this method might work for, but ive never used discount/coupon codes.

thanks!

21 hours ago, builtbylava said:

@Aseykay

can you elaborate a bit more on how you did this? i have a client that this method might work for, but ive never used discount/coupon codes.

thanks!

Sure! In the main menu you can find the discount button- go there and set up a free shipping discount and make up a promo code that people have to enter. The main bummer about this workaround is that it can't be combined with any other promo code discounts.

• 5 weeks later...

I was able to create a Free Local Pick Up work around using the Flat Rate option in Shipping (this worked for the US - I am not sure if it does for any other countries). Just call the option name Local Pick Up or whatever you prefer, leave the rates at $0.00, then for Shipping Zones, uncheck All states/territories under United States, then scroll to your state where you can input allowed zip codes for pick up. If the actual shipping zip code isn't listed in the free pick up setting, the option doesn't appear at checkout. Hope this helps

• 1 year later...

Archived