Using google analytics to track activity / conversions made via forms generated by E-tapestry CMS embedded onto Squarespace site

Hello,

We use a Content Management System called E-tapestry, part of Blackbaud. E-tapestry generates forms for donations, registration etc. in HTML  which we then embed onto our Squarespace site. However, we don't know how to track activity or conversions from these forms - which would be really useful because it means we'd be able to judge how well our google ads are performing by the number of conversions (forms completed/submitted/donations made/registrations received) that they generate.

Thank  you so much in advance,
Claire  

• Replies 13
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah sorry I see what you mean. No - ideally we wouldn't embed the form into the website - but keep as it is with a button that is linked to the form itself. Would it be easier to track if the form was embedded? 

There is one form that we have embedded - https://www.frankwater.com/contact-us and the embed code is 

<script type="text/JavaScript" src="//app.etapestry.com/hosted/eTapestry.com/etapEmbedResponsiveResizing.js"></script><iframe id="etapIframe" style="border:none;width:100%;" src="https://app.etapestry.com/onlineforms/FrankWater/consent.html"></iframe> 

Ok, button clicks are easy to track; Squarespace even has a button conversion analytics built in (support document linked below). The only thing is because the forms aren’t hosted on Squarespace you won’t be able to track when the somebody completes a donation. You will only be able to track that they’ve clicked on the button to go to the donation form. 

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/115015424067-Form-Button-Conversions-Analytics

As for tracking the number of clicks on the button with Google Analytics there are few different methods of going about it. The first linked below is a set by set guide to set up the tracking yourself. The second link is a paid plugin from @voxpopagency which should take the guess work out of setting it up. 

https://www.simmonssharpe.com/blog/2018/4/5/how-to-use-squarespace-google-tag-manager-to-track-conversions-in-google-analytics

https://voxpopagency.com/products/squarespace-click-tracking-plugin?utm_source=Squarespace Answers&utm_medium=Organic&utm_campaign=Click Tracking Plugin&utm_content=https%3A%2F%2Fanswers.squarespace.com%2Fquestions%2F167543%2Fhow-to-track-button-clicks-with-google-analytics-e.html

If you were to embed the form on your website using an iFrame then this would need to be setup within e-tapestry which by the sounds of it isn’t possible.  Sticking with buttons that link to the donation forms sound like the best way to go as you will be able to track button clicks. 

Unfortunately as the form isn’t hosted on Squarespace there isn’t really a way to track this as you would need to put the tracking code onto the e-tapestry form itself which from the sounds of it isn’t possible. Any tracking code that you put on your website can only track visitors and their action when they are on your Squarespace website. Once they leave your website you can no longer track them. 

• 9 months later...
On 11/4/2019 at 9:46 AM, clairefrankwater said:

Hello,

We use a Content Management System called E-tapestry, part of Blackbaud. E-tapestry generates forms for donations, registration etc. in HTML  which we then embed onto our Squarespace site. However, we don't know how to track activity or conversions from these forms - which would be really useful because it means we'd be able to judge how well our google ads are performing by the number of conversions (forms completed/submitted/donations made/registrations received) that they generate.

Thank  you so much in advance,
Claire  

Hi Claire,

I'm having the same exact issue w/ eTapestry forms! Just wondering if you were able to figure this out? And if so, how you were able to track this?

I'm trying to get help from Google Ads support as well, I can let you know if they help me figure it out as well!

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Claire,

So after much research and discussions with Google's Support team and the eTapestry team, it seems this just isn't possible the way eTapestry's form is set up. My client had to pay for a "custom" form from eTapestry in order to be able to have a confirmation page after a donation, which then allows for conversion tracking.

However, I've heard amazing things about FundraiseUp's donation forms, which are powered by AI and low-cost. And much, much better than Blackbaud products.

Feel free to connect if you have any other questions about how my client set up their form in the en!

Just to respond on tracking, if you are technically minded you can fire all tracking using Google Tag Manager and the Event parameter. You load that via code injection and then trigger events to be sent to Google Analytics. It's free, but it might be too technical as I said.

As Iframe is off site you can only embed tracking into that code which if not supported you won't have any luck unfortunately. However if you were able to redirect form submissions to a thank you page where you could install Google analytics, such as you SS website, you'd be able to calculate things like conversion rates using a custom metrics.

Good luck

We provide digital marketing services for businesses that need exposure/sales from search and social media networks. We also build incredibly fast and well optimised multi-language Square Space websites.
Digital Marketing | Marketing Digitale

Archived