Related videos showing in banner background video

So I know there is frustration with adding a video to a website and it showing related videos at the end but that is more for a video block. I'm having related videos show up in my banner video which I thought would be disabled. I have other sites that this has not been an issue so have no idea why it is happening to my newest site. I reached out to SS and their answer is that there is nothing to do about it since it is a youtube video. Anyone have any ideas??

Screenshot 2019-11-01 02.28.04.png

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should consider hosting your videos on Vimeo. It has options that allow a more professional presentation of video embeds. 

Hey @katepincott There are a few ways to do it, for example displaying another element on top of the video when it has finished so it hides the unwanted content.

That said, I don't think £6 is unreasonable for the excellent professional service that Vimeo provides, especially when you compare it to Wistia at £75 per month for a branded video player.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

@angela3 This is indeed something that YouTube are responsible for. Squarespace can't "fix" it.

Google don't want to run YouTube as a free video hosting service if it doesn't bring users to their own YouTube site. Over time, they have been adding watermarks and removing some of the customisation options that were available when embedding videos. 

If you are only hosting one background video and don't want to pay for video hosting, workarounds include:

• Upload a version of the video that includes several loops of the video. It will then play for longer before reaching the end.
  • Hosting the video yourself on Squarespace by saving it in MP4 format (requires code)
  • Replace the video with the fallback image whenever the video stops playing (requires code)

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Archived