auto fill with query_strings alternative

I have a site with a membership area that requires a password.

It also runs in a kiosk where I want to bypass the password. Square space can't use query_strings as in:

https://www.mysite.com/member?password="xyz"

Is it possible to create a java script that could detect the kioskID when the page is loaded and bypass the password, or autofill the password?

Thanks for any help

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/31/2019 at 5:25 PM, Rector said:

I have a site with a membership area that requires a password.

It also runs in a kiosk where I want to bypass the password. Square space can't use query_strings as in:

https://www.mysite.com/member?password="xyz"

Is it possible to create a java script that could detect the kioskID when the page is loaded and bypass the password, or autofill the password?

Thanks for any help

Did you ever have any luck with this? I know it's possible as loads of people use this method to show live demos for templates... 

3 hours ago, Webswool said:

I know it's possible as loads of people use this method to show live demos for templates... 

That is because the server supports reading the password from the URL in these cases.

The server can choose not to use that information and this could be the case for member areas as a security issue.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

19 hours ago, creedon said:

That is because the server supports reading the password from the URL in these cases.

The server can choose not to use that information and this could be the case for member areas as a security issue.

Oh I see @creedon! Thanks for the clarification - I knew I could set a JSON query to autofill a site-wide password but didn't realise it didn't apply for specific pages. Doh!

Archived