York - Vimeo video not displaying correctly

Hi, I'm facing some difficulties when I try to add a Vimeo video to our Cover page https://www.hoth.is/ 

Vimeo video is under 40 sec and it works with another video from same account. Only with one exception; it displays a video player icon on top of the video - which is not preferable.  It's a Vimeo plus account. 

The video is not coming up on other peoples computers when it's linked to our Cover page.

The video that works is this one on Vimeo: video 1

The one that will not display on other computers than my own is this one: video 2

Summed up:

We want to display the second Vimeo video on our cover page, - and without a video player icon on top of it

Any input or suggestions?

Thank you in advance -

Screenshot 2019-10-28 at 13.58.04.png

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Solved! Seems like there was an extra video block that had sneaked in somehow. Just like you said Colin 🙂 The Vimeo sharing settings where ok, so nothing there. I ended up with a "costly" solution - created a new cover page and linked in the video, and it worked. Some double work but not a major task. I wish I could copy the styles from one cover page or any page really over to another one. 

• 2 months later...

Hi,

So here's and update on the video front page. It's really weird I do not understand why. I have tried look into the code but not any wiser;

https://www.hoth.is/

Sometimes it shows the video and other times not. People as well as myself often have needed to refresh a couple of times before the video is appearing. I am aware of the speed and connections, - but we have tested it with normal good connection ... (!). This is giving me a headache and is bad for business. Any input anyone?

Is it because SQS have poor servers or there's too much traffic etc? Or that it pulls video from Vimeo? I mean ... is this typical SQS headaches that people are struggling with? 

- Can another CMS provider give a better experience with video on the front page like Drupal etc? Or do I simply need a steady developer to figure things like this out for a basic platform like SQS? I have only used this and Cargo Collective, so my knowledge to fix this issue is limited -

Thank you in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have tried and had to reload the page as well to see the video. I noticed I had to approve the use of cookies. Could it be that this cookie banner blocks the video from loading properly?

With that being said, I opened Chrome's developer console to see what happened under the hood. The page loads a player.js script file from the vimeo servers, then starts streaming. You might try to contact Vimeo for more help.

After the first reload, the video played each time I refreshed the page, even when clearing the cache. So I couldn't reproduce the issue. However, the cookie banner did not reappear, so that is still in effect. I would start debugging the cookie banner 🙂

Hi Cowlumbus, - thanks for chipping in. 

This is just so weird to me. Now I've had the cookie banner disabled with no result. I'm no solid HTML fox, so this is way too much for my skill level. - Is there any way possible to contact and get help directly from a Squarespace person on challenges likes this? I mean like Cargo Collective are? The other day I had an issue with my personal site and they answered and helped me fix it within a day!

Blah. 

Archived