Squarespace 7.1 - Linking navigation folder to first item in the folder

Go to solution Solved by lahero,

Howdy

I used to be able to do this on other Squarespace templates so I'm not sure where I'm going wrong in 7.1. 

I've got a folder with two pages in it, and I want the folder itself to be a link to the first page in the folder. I've tried adding <a href="website/about">About</a> into the navigation title but that's not working. Any tips? 

On 10/27/2019 at 6:35 AM, brionycullin said:

Howdy

I used to be able to do this on other Squarespace templates so I'm not sure where I'm going wrong in 7.1. 

I've got a folder with two pages in it, and I want the folder itself to be a link to the first page in the folder. I've tried adding <a href="website/about">About</a> into the navigation title but that's not working. Any tips? 

how do I do the opposite of this?  Somehow my secondary navigation folder which I was using only as a dropdown, now links to the first page in the folder when clicked.  I want it to only dropdown, not be clickable and take you to a page...

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, jbrown_wsna said:

Hi Everyone,

We are in the same boat as @brionycullin - any chance there's an update to this?  We've got a few folders we would like to link to summary material on 7.1.  Anyway we can make the folder a link?

Josh

Can you share link to your site?

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2020 at 9:52 AM, tuanphan said:

You need to use JavaScript for this. If you share link to your site, I can take a look.

Or Squarespace engineers could just... you know... make it work like every other site on the internet. Just a thought vs resorting to obtuse or temporary workarounds like JS injections. Same boat here. Want it. Need it. Waiting patiently for it.

6 hours ago, sparrow-made said:

Or Squarespace engineers could just... you know... make it work like every other site on the internet. Just a thought vs resorting to obtuse or temporary workarounds like JS injections. Same boat here. Want it. Need it. Waiting patiently for it.

Except not everyone might want the folder to direct to the first page. eg. Some might want to link to a sub-menu, which could be done with a hidden first page, whilst others might not want it linked.

Ling.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Following as I have this same question. Aggravating that it's not supported.

I want to have an overview page for my blog that lets me choose my featured articles and want this to be what people click to when they see "Articles" in my main nav with a link to some category filters and "All Articles" underneath, but the current setup doesn't allow for this (and the user experience of adding "Overview" or something into the nav is weird to me).

Going to piggyback on this thread since @MattKurkowski just replied on Monday and it seems this issue is persisting and problematic for several SS 7.1 users. 

Can someone from the @SQUARESPACE team advise when this update will be released? This is a major functionality issue from a user standpoint and can lead to confusion. At the very least it should mirror the SS 7.0 functionality where we have the option to do this.

I confirmed again today with SS customer care that they do not have current notes on how this can happen - the suggestions are to use links which we are all aware cannot house the sub-pages relevant to the primary navigation link we want linked.

I'd really appreciate some sort of help with resolving this within the Squarespace framework. Some might disagree with the group above but at the least having an option for this would be a great feature.

I don't understand this need to make a folder link to the first item in a folder while on the site. Whats wrong with just opening the folder? The first item in the folder is linked to the URL slug of the folder if you use that link from outside the site. For example myrandomviews.com/lessons takes you to the first item in a folder named photography lessons, if you put it in the address bar of a browser. Clicking the folder will not take you there, it opens the folder and then you get there by the first link.. 

• 1 month later...