Zip code finder?

Hey all - 

I have a client who wants to add a plugin to their site that will allow the ability to plug in a zip code and have the user alerted as to whether or not they currently service that area. 

I thought zipfinder was the answer, but that's just for specific locations (not a map delivery zone type plugin). 

Has anyone had experience with this? Any good solutions out there?

Thanks in advance,

x

Hi @EmilieJax. This could be relatively simple if you happen to be maintaining a list of zip codes corresponding to the zips you do service. If that were the case, it'd be a basic comparison against an array. Does the UI need to be map/radius based? Is there any other functionality needed besides asking the user to enter their ZIP and then returning a corresponding message?

If a response helped you out, send a 'Like' 👍 (bottom-right) and/or 'Upvote' vote.jpg.c260784ece77aec852b0e3049c77a607.jpg (top-left)

12 minutes ago, brandon said:

Hi @EmilieJax. This could be relatively simple if you happen to be maintaining a list of zip codes corresponding to the zips you do service. If that were the case, it'd be a basic comparison against an array. Does the UI need to be map/radius based? Is there any other functionality needed besides asking the user to enter their ZIP and then returning a corresponding message?

Hey @brandon! That's correct, it's just a list of zip codes corresponding to the zips we do service and then providing a corresponding message. It doesn't have to be map/radius based since we have the zips, but hoping to have something sleek or user friendly for UI. 

Ok. That being the case, the function of the UI is relatively simple to do. I think there's more work to be done in the design than the actual development, in this case. I'd suggest you do a mockup of what you want it to look like, and have an idea of how it would function. Including:

• The intro sentence/paragraph if there is one.
  • The input field (for example is this 5 digit zip or zip + 4, etc.)
  • The submit button (if there is one, or maybe you want to automatically check once the input reaches 5 characters?)
  • The messages (and corresponding calls-to-action), both for "Yes...' and "No..."
  • The message that appears if the input is invalid (hopefully could be avoided by limited the field to numbers, but best to have it in the code just in case)

As I said, from there I think the actual coding of it would take coder/developer less than 30 minutes to do.

For example

If a response helped you out, send a 'Like' 👍 (bottom-right) and/or 'Upvote' vote.jpg.c260784ece77aec852b0e3049c77a607.jpg (top-left)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/24/2019 at 8:03 PM, brandon said:

Ok. That being the case, the function of the UI is relatively simple to do. I think there's more work to be done in the design than the actual development, in this case. I'd suggest you do a mockup of what you want it to look like, and have an idea of how it would function. Including:

• The intro sentence/paragraph if there is one.
  • The input field (for example is this 5 digit zip or zip + 4, etc.)
  • The submit button (if there is one, or maybe you want to automatically check once the input reaches 5 characters?)
  • The messages (and corresponding calls-to-action), both for "Yes...' and "No..."
  • The message that appears if the input is invalid (hopefully could be avoided by limited the field to numbers, but best to have it in the code just in case)

As I said, from there I think the actual coding of it would take coder/developer less than 30 minutes to do.

For example

How do I add this, but instead as an independent form, have it on the pop-up form of a particular item's product page (see image)? I would like to add the address form, and hide everything (name, street, etc.) except for the zip code field.
Then if the zip code input is not included in the list of zip codes I have, a warning along the line of "sorry delivery service is not available in your area" will be displayed. Can this be done with custom css alone?

Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 7.00.59 PM.png

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2019 at 1:22 AM, EmilieJax said:

Hey all - 

I have a client who wants to add a plugin to their site that will allow the ability to plug in a zip code and have the user alerted as to whether or not they currently service that area. 

I thought zipfinder was the answer, but that's just for specific locations (not a map delivery zone type plugin). 

Has anyone had experience with this? Any good solutions out there?

Thanks in advance,

x

Hey all, referring to the question of EmilieJax: I need such a function for German ZIP Codes (or  a List of 5 Digit Zip codes, having the "correct" codes provided i.e. in a DB)

This how it shall work (or sort of)

- product Overview Page with List of Products

- each product has a "add to cart" Link

- when user adds product to the cart , a Modal Window opens: User has to add his ZIP Code.

- if Zip code is wrong, user gets an alert

- if Zip code is correct, user can proceed to add product into cart

- once he added the zip code, he does not have to re-enter for each product he adds (cookies)

- when he places the order, the zip code has to be checked again during checkout

- when the zip code is wrong, he gets an alert again

- when the zip code is right, he can finish placing the order

Thanks for help, Regards

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/23/2021 at 1:45 PM, MichaelE123 said:

Hello, Emilie

Did you find a solution to your zip code lookup issue? I am looking for almost the exact same functionality on my site. Can you send the code you used? 

Same here! Would love to see what you were able to do...and if it worked as a popup!