Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Advanced Search
RebeccaW

Digital Product File Size Limitation

Recommended Posts

I need to add an audiobook to my list of products but the file size max. is 300mb. This seems excrutiatingly small considering people sell audiobooks and music on this platform.

Does anyone know of a work-around that won't effect the file quality?

Share this post


Link to post

300Mb is almost 10 hours of audio. In fact, with good compression you could extend that to 12-15 hours. 

How large is the file size of the book you want to sell?


Please hit LIKE to share your appreciation of posts that are helpful or useful. 

The like button is somewhere over thereover-there.jpg

Of course, Likes don't pay the bills.. If you're looking for a Squarespace Developer you can hire me here

Share this post


Link to post

If your files are this large, and you want to do this securely, you will need to use an alternative commerce solution. Squarespace isn’t yet equipped to sell digital files of this size whereas others are specifically designed to do so. 
 

A workaround is to save the large files elsewhere and then supply a text file as the digital download, containing the url of the large file and the password to access it. 


World-class Squarespace Developer and Squarespace Circle Leader with a strong reputation on the Squarespace Forum.
I'm trusted by hundreds of Squarespace users worldwide, including designers, freelancers, business owners and big agencies.

I can tackle anything from small tweaks to full websites and I'm available for short and long bookings (min. 1 hour).
Book via my website giving as much notice as possible. Note that I'm usually booked six weeks in advance for jobs longer than an hour.
Prebuilt Squarespace Extensions
Custom Squarespace Extensions: Tell me about the functionality you need

 

Share this post


Link to post

Awful solution on a great platform. 

"We do not provide bla bla bla"... is not a great UX answer in 2020.

Just to recap how bad the selling on Squarespace is:

- No video or audio previews, just images

- 300 mb limit. Great for images (not even all of them) bad for HD video, long audio books, collections

- No different option even for a simple things like images. Info for UX designers in Squarespace - photographer selling prints and digital versions, in a few variations and for a different purposes, such as tiffs for prints, mid jpegs for social media, hi-res jpegs for other purposes. And this is just a tip of the iceberg , but not even this is implemented. 

- no ability to sell different licences such as personal or commercial. 

- no search on inventory page option for a larger collections of digital goods, 

- no filters system for tags (only category) on inventory page

- no collection ability

And this is just a few things, I could name after 3 minutes spend on inventory page. 

 

Yes I know you are not a dedicated "sell" platform, but since you entered that realm, please analyse UX at least for the majority of factors and implement them before proclaiming selling option.

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post

@Madebyvadim This forum is not monitored for product feature requests. Those of us commenting are Squarespace customers too and we are not in a position to improve the features provided by Squarespace.

To ensure your feedback reaches the appropriate team at Squarespace it is best to raise a ticket through Customer Care


World-class Squarespace Developer and Squarespace Circle Leader with a strong reputation on the Squarespace Forum.
I'm trusted by hundreds of Squarespace users worldwide, including designers, freelancers, business owners and big agencies.

I can tackle anything from small tweaks to full websites and I'm available for short and long bookings (min. 1 hour).
Book via my website giving as much notice as possible. Note that I'm usually booked six weeks in advance for jobs longer than an hour.
Prebuilt Squarespace Extensions
Custom Squarespace Extensions: Tell me about the functionality you need

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/22/2019 at 9:06 AM, RebeccaW said:

I need to add an audiobook to my list of products but the file size max. is 300mb. This seems excrutiatingly small considering people sell audiobooks and music on this platform.

Does anyone know of a work-around that won't effect the file quality?

Could you upload to dropbox, generate a link and then use that link for download? Tip: Every dropbox link ends in a "0" and if you change that "0" to a "1" it initiates automatic download of that product anytime someone clicks the link.

I'm currently selling digital products (some up to 20GB) on Shopify, but it's still got it's woes for shop owners. I came here to see what the main issues would be if I switch over to SS. I'm curious if there's anyway to get that customer the dropbox link in an automated email after they purchase.

Edited by Mhossey

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Mhossey said:

I'm curious if there's anyway to get that customer the dropbox link in an automated email after they purchase.

@Mhossey Yes this is possible. Perhaps you missed my comment above:

On 12/17/2019 at 3:51 PM, paul2009 said:

A workaround is to save the large files elsewhere and then supply a text file as the digital download, containing the url of the large file and the password to access it. 

 

 


World-class Squarespace Developer and Squarespace Circle Leader with a strong reputation on the Squarespace Forum.
I'm trusted by hundreds of Squarespace users worldwide, including designers, freelancers, business owners and big agencies.

I can tackle anything from small tweaks to full websites and I'm available for short and long bookings (min. 1 hour).
Book via my website giving as much notice as possible. Note that I'm usually booked six weeks in advance for jobs longer than an hour.
Prebuilt Squarespace Extensions
Custom Squarespace Extensions: Tell me about the functionality you need

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment


×
×
  • Create New...