Stock by size for shoes

I'm a big fan of squarespace and have been using a template site for three years to sell my beautiful Italian loafers from my business in the UK.

BUT I am close to moving my site because my customers can not see if I have their size in stock as they press the buy button for a style/colour, and I don't want to.

Has anyone solved the problem of showing sizes available in a box before the buy transaction?

I've tried to work with several os squarespace support companies but they run a mile when I explain.

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can create each style as a product with multiple variants (colour, size). Each colour+size combo would have its own stock qty.

If your problem is that all variant pairs show, whether or not they have stock, then a custom script would be needed to remove out of stock combinations from the variant dropdowns. 

It's something I've done before on a site that sells online courses, to hide those courses that have already started (date variant) or where all the places are booked (qty available for future courses).

For a shoe site it would be nice to create something customised where you hide the size variant selector from view and instead present the user with a grid showing in stock sizes when the colour is selected. Selecting a size in the grid would set the hidden selector to the correct value. 

Due to its complexity it's not a solution that could be provided within the scope of this forum, but it can certainly be built if you're willing to pay for it. 

Actually, I just found your site and it looks like you only have size as a variant. If that's the case it's an easier solution, but still outside the scope of this forum. 

Get in touch if you'd like to talk about it. 

You can show Sold Out labels beside variants when they are out of stock using the Sold Out labels feature. This will only work for simple variants where every shoe colour is a different product, and the customer must only select the correct size. For example:oos-variants.thumb.png.46293884863e3c8f29b8d7cc57a91971.png

If you would like something more advanced, we sell the Variant Availability Extension. This can create purchase urgency by showing variants with limited availability or low stock as well as those that are out of stock.

variant-availability-tile.thumb.png.d67bde595a65e492774dd0b9ada28ff2.png

You can set the stock thresholds for the message, as well as the text of the messages themselves, in any language! For example, you could choose to show:

• Limited stock available
  • Only 2 remaining
  • Only 3 places remaining
  • 10 tickets available
  • ..or anything else!

Here are some examples:

variant-availability-examples.thumb.png.a7a2eade7ee4913a438b256b8211c6ee.png

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Brian

You can enable the 'Sold Out' labels with the following steps:

1. Whilst logged on, click Commerce, and then click Inventory

2. Click the 'gear' icon in the top right corner to launch the 'Inventory Settings' window (see below).

sold-out-badges.thumb.png.df559bca54d916fa8720646821fb6f60.png

3. Click Sold Out.

4. Move the Show in Variant Dropdowns slider to 'on'.

sold-out-in-variants.thumb.png.de2618896d9588e1c424c42b3c0582bc.png

5. Click Save to save the new setting.

You should now see the sold out labels in your current size drop-downs.

Let me know how you get on.

-Paul

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Paul, that's brilliant!

Thank you very much. Not quite a drop-down box but does show exactly what we need when "sizes" is pressed.

It will certainly do for the next year or so. 

I've been talking to squarespace off and on for a year about this, and to several associates working with them, with no result.

I've actually been told it's impossible to have such a feature on a squarespace template.

Thanks again for getting it done so easily with a feature already there.

Brian 

I updated the post above to provide details of the solution that I built to show variant availability. You'll find full details on my company's website.

Squarespace do have a Product Availability option, but it isn't as flexible and is only available on the most expensive Commerce Advanced plan. My solution works on any plan!

All the best

-Paul

Archived