Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Advanced Search
jsummerhays46

Squarespace not passing email address to Stripe

I'm using Stripe to process payments through my SQS site and for some reason, Stripe isn't receiving email addresses in the charge data. My research to this point suggests that email is a standard data point with charges. Is there a setting in SQS that I'm missing or have wrongly configured that would be blocking the transmission of the email address after checkout?

This is a big problem because I'm using Zapier to connect Stripe to my marketing automation system that fulfills orders via email.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 9.13.25 AM.png

The email address is usually included in the payment description, for example "Charge for test@example.com". I don't believe the customer field will include the email address separately.

This is something that you'll want to discuss with Squarespace Customer Care as the community cannot logon to your site to troubleshoot issues. You can reach out to Squarespace here.

If a response has helped you, please give thanks using the  like-20-mag.png.3997345d620e40b4760b5d7a667cad54.png button.
Need personalised help? I'm a professional Developer who works with Designers internationally. You can book me via my company's website. www.sf.digital

Just based off my experience with Stripe I believe that the email address is passed on and is screened for fraud but not for receipt purposes. I say this because I have had a few payments be declined because of the email address associated with it. 

If you see an answer that was helpful please consider hitting the 121238226_Screenshot2019-11-02at14_53_39.png.0416997a5e856e0159fa1edbd624659e.png button on the right. 

Need help with your website or online store? Feel free to get in touch.

thompsonweb.design

I can't believe Squarespace built the integration to Stripe that way. Stripe has default email fields, but they are just left empty even though the data would easily map from Squarespace to Stripe. Seems like a huge gaffe by them.

I think it's more to do with data protection stand point so you don't have customer data scattered around various different places. In the EU from a GDPR perspective this makes life much easier as it's one less data point to worry about but I can understand how it can be frustrating in your situation.

I'm not really sure what would be involved to pass the email address onto your marketing system but you can pass on the email address quite easily from the tags available in the order confirmation page code injector. 

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/205815908-Using-Code-Injection

If you see an answer that was helpful please consider hitting the 121238226_Screenshot2019-11-02at14_53_39.png.0416997a5e856e0159fa1edbd624659e.png button on the right. 

Need help with your website or online store? Feel free to get in touch.

thompsonweb.design