Five template, business plan: styling of cart and order confirmation pages via custom 404 error page?

I am using the Five template (www.t1df.org). I have a business plan. 

It is my understanding that, with a business plan, I can't style the checkout page nor change the color of the cart button. But I should be able to style the cart and order confirmation pages (i.e. add a banner image and text, select a layout, etc.). The store cart and order confirmation pages use the styling of the default/unlinked system 404 error page. By creating a custom unlinked 404 page, it should be possible to style the cart and order confirmation pages. See: [Five template] "display content from their default 404 pages on order confirmation pages, shopping carts, and searches..." https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/205815328-Styling-your-checkout-page

I followed Squarespace directions and I created as custom 404 error page: https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/205814478-Creating-a-custom-404-error-page. But my site does not use the design elements of the custom 404 error page I created. 

Am I missing something here? Any suggestion?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Charlesf said:

It is my understanding that, with a business plan, I can't style the checkout page nor change the color of the cart button. But I should be able to style the cart and order confirmation pages

It depends on what you mean by 'style the page'. There is a Site Styles panel (Design > Site Styles) for almost any page including the cart page. There's a limited version for the checkout page (see below). You can also add custom styling (CSS) to most pages, but there are some exceptions. I'm not sure what you mean by the 'cart button' but unless it is on the checkout page, you should be able to change it.

2 hours ago, Charlesf said:

The store cart and order confirmation pages use the styling of the default/unlinked system 404 error page. By creating a custom unlinked 404 page, it should be possible to style the cart and order confirmation pages

That's not true. The 404 page is not related in any way to the cart or order confirmation pages. You can style the Cart using the Site Styles panel. Order Confirmation Pages are special cases. You can make some modifications, but there isn't a Site Styles panel and the methods are very different; it will depend on what you want to change.

Checkout

You cannot add CSS or code to the checkout page - on any plan! All code and custom styling will be blocked due to the security controls on the checkout page. The Site Styles panel for the checkout can be reached from the home menu by clicking Design > Checkout Page. Style changes are limited to changing the Background Colour, Header Colour, Header Border Colour, Header Alignment, Button Colour or adding the site logo. 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Yes, but sadly I don't think the article makes much sense. I suggest you reach out to Squarespace Customer Care and ask them to explain.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

The support team sounded equally confused and unfamiliar with this feature. The use of a custom 404 error page to add some content (but not a banner image) to the Cart and Order Confirmation pages with Five and a business plan seems like a temporary hack. 

Squarespace may be in dire need of a platform overhaul to add more design flexibility to its web editor (less sub-templates, more sophisticated editor) and better integration with its commerce function. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived