remove homepage from navigation

Go to solution Solved by Amaya_SQSP,

My cover page is my homepage.  I don't want it in the navigation menu.  

If I slide the option "enable page" then the cover page is no longer active and can't been seen by the public.  

How do I get the homepage off the navigation menu without deactivating the page?

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Solution

Hi @tchandler,

Thanks for posting this question! As @creedon mentioned, the way to hide the homepage link from the primary navigation would be to move the homepage to your "Not Linked" section. This does not hide the page from public view or from search engines. If it is set as the homepage, the domain will always direct to that page. Additionally, your logo image or site title functions as a link and always directs to the homepage as well, unless you've added custom code in order to redirect this. So, even in the "Not Linked" section, your homepage will always remain visible to the public, just not in your primary navigation. 

14 hours ago, tchandler said:

Hi @Amaya_SQSP, and thank you.

This makes sense to me, but I'm also confused, because I've done this and it seems to remove the homepage from being visible. I'm running Nueva template, site is https://bulletproof-film.com

Screenshot attached of the site map in Squarespace's backend. Any sense of what I'm doing wrong here? 

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 8.58.59 PM.png

Ah, I see. So, you're currently using an Index Page. If you move the entire Index Page out of your primary navigation, it will hide all the pages as they are collected under the Index Page. I would suggest moving the page you're using as the homepage out of the Index Page and have it as a standalone homepage so you have more control of where you'd like it to be. 

If you require additional help, please feel free to contact our amazing Customer Support team directly through email. 

We offer real-time support through live chat Monday through Friday between 4:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time. The button to contact us is located at the bottom of every guide on our help site, or you can start the process directly at this link: 

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/requests/new 

After you've selected a topic, click "Live Chat" to start a new chat.

I have another suggestion, since your index page is the home page, may I suggest that you create a landing/cover page. They can be very dramatic and they are included in 7.0 which I see that you are using. You create this page in the unlinked section of your site. There are many great templates to choose from and use text or buttons to link it to the main section of your site. When you have finished building it you make it your homepage which will not appear on the Nav bar. That is what I have done with these two sites, the first one being my own. 

my random views

Christine Gregory Photography

Landing/cover page guide

Edited by derricksrandomviews

thanks @Amaya_SQSP and @derricksrandomviews

i'm hoping for a solution that doesn't change the flow and setup of the site.  the current setup works for me-- i want a single page, parallax scrolling site. moving the homepage out of the index changes that, as does creating a landing page. basically i want the site exactly as it is, minus the 'home' link on the nav bar. there has to be a way to just remove the 'home' link from the nav bar without changing anything else. maybe css? thoughts?

thanks again!

15 minutes ago, tchandler said:

i'm hoping for a solution that doesn't change the flow and setup of the site.

Add the following to Design > Custom CSS.

/* hide home link */

.Header-nav-item[href="/"], /* desktop */
.Mobile-overlay-nav-item[href="/"] /* mobile */

{

display : none;

}

This is for v7.0 using the Brine template family.

Let us know how it goes.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, dmbmedia said:

I tired the CSS injection you suggested above but wasn't able to get it to work

It didn't work as it was designed for v7.0 using the Brine template family.

Add the following to Design > Custom CSS.

.header-nav-item:nth-of-type( 1 ), /* desktop */
.header-menu-nav-item:nth-of-type( 1 ) /* mobile */

{

}

This is for v7.1.

The way the navigation is structured we need to hide the element by its position. Most folks have their home page link in position 1. But if yours is different then change the one. Please note that if you move your pages around then you many need to update the position number.

Let us know how it goes.

• 4 months later...

@creedon I have the same issue. I'm trying to hide the Home link from the navigation on ALL pages. I tried this code in the Custom CSS panel and it didn't work. I'm using the Brine template and the website is https://www.supercubes.com. I'm assuming I entered something wrong?

.Header-nav-item[href="https://www.supercubes.com/home"] {  
    }
.Mobile-overlay-nav-item[href="https://https://www.supercubes.com/home"] {  
    }

I used this code to hide Home, but it only worked on the Home page.

//remove HOME from nav
.tweak-header-primary-nav-hover-style-active .Header--overlay .Header-nav .Header-nav-item--active {
    display: none;
    }

//remove HOME from mobile nav
a:nth-child(1).Mobile-overlay-nav-item {
    display: none;
    }

Edited by nwhittlesey
16 minutes ago, nwhittlesey said:

I tried this code in the Custom CSS panel and it didn't work.

Use the exact code from my October 15, 2021 post. You added the full URL for the href attribute which won't work.

You should also remove, make a copy somewhere, any other attempts at this effect as you don't want code working at cross purposes to each other.

Let us know how it goes.