Allow pinch-to-zoom for Lightbox images on mobile?

Is it possible to use CSS or other coding to turn on the ability for users to pinch-to-zoom on images in Lightbox view on mobile devices?  (It would have to be the usual zoom in/out gestures, in Lightbox mode, on a Gallery Page.)

I don't understand why Squarespace still doesn't allow this.  Every other website and gallery maker I know of does it, as it's a hugely useful feature for photography and art given how small mobile screens are.

Thank you!

Even if you don't know how to do it, does anyone know for sure whether or not this is even possible?  It has been requested for many years by different people.  Squarespace Support could not answer my question to verify whether or not it's even possible.

Thanks!

Edited by Glenno
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would like to ping this. It's really too bad this is still not implemented.

It's a naturalized gesture with mobile users. Ever person I have seen using my website tries for this and then it's an awkward explanation of why it still can't happen. It's like a piece of software that hasn't upgraded to the mouse but uses a GUI.

It's a huge missing step and I would be open to seeing how we can crowd-fix this or submit this to the Squarespace team so they can implement it. It's not rocket-science or a neural network for hashtags. It's pinch-zoom!

• 2 months later...

Hey, I was trying to figure out why Squarespace wouldn't add what seemed like such a simple responsive feature request. I started isolating my lightbox classes in Chrome dev tools and noticed a "yui" id. I couldn't find "yui" anywhere in the template source code, so I started Googling. It appears that Squarespace may be fully relying on this library: https://yahooeng.tumblr.com/post/96098168666/important-announcement-regarding-yui, which was abandoned years ago. I saw someone posted this issue about updating touch zoom features for Google Chrome, and my worst fears were confirmed: https://github.com/yui/yui3/issues/1997. Squarespace, did you build this entire site on an abandoned codebase? Are you building off a fork somewhere? If you're still maintaining a fork, why are you not keeping touch actions up-to-date with contemporary UI and browser capabilities? 

Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 1.40.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 2.04.13 PM.png

Edited by vernistage1
  • 1 month later...

Wow, that was deep vernistage1 nice work!

I tried out the plugin I listed and it doesn't solve the problem. Slight nuance in the type of zoom functionality it provides vs what is needed.

I noticed between that original post and now the Lightbox functionality works slightly differently. Still no zoom though... Will keep searching!

• 1 month later...

One line of code before </head> tag should do the stuff. Thanks to Marius I solved the same problem on my website. You can change maximum-scale to 2.5 or 3.0 depending of your needs.

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0, maximum-scale=2.0, user-scalable=1" />

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/12/2019 at 1:03 AM, Glenno said:

Even if you don't know how to do it, does anyone know for sure whether or not this is even possible?  It has been requested for many years by different people.  Squarespace Support could not answer my question to verify whether or not it's even possible.

Thanks!

Hey Glenno!

Do you have any answer to this yet?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I can’t believe that a website template  geared towards photographers and artists doesn’t offer a pinch and zoom feature, not to mention the weird limitations with caption features. Captions! This is basic stuff. I just built a site on Shopify and I easily found all the design features Squarespace is withholding. I would have preferred staying at Squarespace but after being underwhelmed with version 7.1 I just couldn’t justify staying. 

8 minutes ago, Happylilsunbeam said:

I can’t believe that a website template  geared towards photographers and artists doesn’t offer a pinch and zoom feature, not to mention the weird limitations with caption features. Captions! This is basic stuff. I just built a site on Shopify and I easily found all the design features Squarespace is withholding. I would have preferred staying at Squarespace but after being underwhelmed with version 7.1 I just couldn’t justify staying. 

Which shopify page builder you are using

BeyondSpace - Squarespace Website Developer

🖼️ Lightbox Studio (Enable Pinch/Zoom on lightbox)
🗓️ Delivery Date Picker (Squarespace Date picker form field)
💫 Gallery block 7.1 workaround
🥳 Sparkplugin Customisations Browsers (Browse +100 Spark plugin customisations)
🥳 Elfsight Template Browsers (Browse +1000 Elfsight widget Templates)

If you find my answer useful, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you!