• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Advanced Search

Adding text to a fullscreen slideshow on Ver 7.1

hdossary

Question

Hi, I am using Squarespace version 7.1.

I want to create a slideshow of full bleed images with the SAME headlines / text but the image changes in the background.

At the moment I can only either add:

1. A "headline" section with full bleed image and text on top
  2. or A "gallery" section with a slideshow of full bleed images without text.

Is there a workaround for this? If not I would like to downgrade from version 7.1 and use an existing template that gives me the option to do this.

Website is middl.io and password is staging only

ThanksHannah

Edited by hdossary
Correction: Slideshow would have the same text but different images

Posted (edited)

The process of creating a slideshow is much easier than you might imagine. To create a bright and cool slideshow, you need high-quality software and some free time. Most photo and video editing programs only work with certain OS versions. That is why I use universal software that includes the most necessary and useful functions (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.movavi.mobile.movaviclips)

Edited by bagodcker
On 6/18/2021 at 1:57 PM, moushi said:

There is no reason on this earth that a slideshow with text overlay should be as difficult as it is. I'm on my third bout of cancelling 7.1 and having to rebuild in 7.0 because there is no way in hell my clients will be able to manage the site on their own --which is why I chose Squarespace for all of them in the first place. Nearly impossible to get a decent site without custom code; it's a process that is inefficient and costly on the build site. What took 5-10 hours takes 20-30 with the buggy platform and the need to implement code, not to mention the 3 or 4 different design areas one has to go to for any style changes "padding, font size, color, site width." It's a bad UI and a build that doesn't cater to builders. Super disappointing.

Yep, I reached out five months ago asking for this feature. I have respect for the SquSpa team, but this is such a massive omission/oversight from 7.1, that I find myself thinking there is some other motivation that I'm missing. I'm torn between sticking with 7.0 or paying for the workaround four outside developers... which is exactly what I try to avoid by using this platform.

Come on, team. It's time.

On 6/21/2021 at 3:56 PM, ghpictures said:

Yep, I reached out five months ago asking for this feature. I have respect for the SquSpa team, but this is such a massive omission/oversight from 7.1, that I find myself thinking there is some other motivation that I'm missing. I'm torn between sticking with 7.0 or paying for the workaround four outside developers... which is exactly what I try to avoid by using this platform.

Come on, team. It's time.

Absolutely. Necessary features like this is making it harder and harder for designers, like myself, to recommend Squarespace. Many people expect this feature to be readily available. I hope there's some plans for this coming soon because we need it now! 

Hi, I believe this has been (mostly) resolved at some point. 

Go to:

- Add a new section
- Headlines
- One of the last options shows a banner with text and arrows indicating slideshow functionality (see attached pic)

While admittedly being a bit hard to find it and it doesn't loop automatically by itself, seems like a pretty useful block with a couple of different design options to choose from (see second pic), though I have just used the default option myself so far.

image.png.a4ce4d868cd09923dd5fb0700ce6e94f.pngimage.png.14a14def2df6de8536171350819b7723.png

20 minutes ago, Guillermiiiin said:

Hi all,
I was able to add a headline over the gallery slideshow by adding a text section, using absolute position, and removing its background (pointing at it with data section id).
Still figuring out if it works correctly in different environments though.

https://www.yaniguille.com/welcome-to-our-home

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Here's the code i used:

[data-section-id="6154aec72efbc42e124e2d5c"] {
    top: 100px;
 background: none !important;
  position: absolute !important;
}

[data-section-id="6154aec72efbc42e124e2d5c"] .section-background {
display: none;
}

Edited by Guillermiiiin
On 9/30/2021 at 2:01 AM, Guillermiiiin said:

Hi all,
I was able to add a headline over the gallery slideshow by adding a text section, reducing it's margin-top significantly, and removing its background (pointing at it with data section id).
Still figuring out if it works correctly in different environments though.

https://www.yaniguille.com/welcome-to-our-home

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Do you still need help?

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours.

How to: Setup password & share url - Insert Custom CSS - Page Header - Upload Custom Font - Upload File - Find Block ID - Contact Customer Care