Adding text to a fullscreen slideshow on Ver 7.1

Hi, I am using Squarespace version 7.1.

I want to create a slideshow of full bleed images with the SAME headlines / text but the image changes in the background.

At the moment I can only either add:

1. A "headline" section with full bleed image and text on top
  2. or A "gallery" section with a slideshow of full bleed images without text.

Is there a workaround for this? If not I would like to downgrade from version 7.1 and use an existing template that gives me the option to do this.

Website is middl.io and password is staging only

ThanksHannah

Edited by hdossary
Correction: Slideshow would have the same text but different images
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just contacted the customer support about the same issue: They don't have a solution for 7.1 yet. It's not possible they say.
It is either gallery slideshow without text or headline mode: text with just one picture. 

I just finished chatting with customer service. As of today, there is no way to build a simple slideshow banner with text in 7.1.

The only solution seems to be to rebuild your site with the 7.0 Brine or Bedford templates and follow the steps below.
https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/205826018-Adding-banner-images#toc-slideshow-banners

Edited by AFDesign
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
22 hours ago, ManishaT said:

Hi all -- has there been an update to this? Is it possible to create a simple slideshow banner with text in 7.1? 

Have you solved yet? If no, I can take a look

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dear Squarespace team,

Full-width sliding images with the ability to place the same or different text and buttons on each image is absolutely a feature we need. I get this request on literally almost every site I build. 

I believe it is a feature that would get used  millions of times over. I love what you have built and the more I get used to 7.1, I can see it's advantages. Adding this feature would make 7.1 an absolute no-brainer. Please acknowledge our collective desire to have this implemented as soon as possible.

Thank you for all you do!

On 12/21/2019 at 4:04 AM, zerosite said:

@Bekka_fairmarry the other solution is to add the text , with the gif picture in the background. Its nice, but always the same text, but half of the solution done, 

Hey zerosite, I'm not sure you already solved this, but to get the gallery to go under the navigation I've added this code in the page advanced tab.

<style>
  .page-section:first-child {
  	padding-top: 0!important;
  }
</style

I hope this helps :)

On 3/11/2020 at 10:36 PM, ManishaT said:

Hi all -- has there been an update to this? Is it possible to create a simple slideshow banner with text in 7.1? 

On 4/3/2020 at 12:03 PM, vliao said:

Yes please! This has not yet been solved. 

SS 7.1 doesn't support Gallery Block in Page. You need to use plugin to do this.

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

@sonoferikdesign We have created an add-on that replicates what we were all used to with older Squarespace templates where content like text and buttons can be added over top of a full bleed gallery/slideshow header banner. You can check it out here-- https://www.squareaddons.com/shop in particular- the "Gallery Slider with Content Overlay" will achieve what you are looking for. 

Edited by Kate

If you are looking for a way to add Anchor Links, Gallery Blocks, or a Rotating Banner with Content Blocks overlaid in Squarespace 7.1, you can find all these plugins in our Squarespace add-on store here: www.Squareaddons.com -- Enjoy! 

• 1 month later...

Sorry i know this is an old post... but the gif technique pointed out by @mandrous is just what i need. Is there a way to make gif slideshows like these with small filesizes? Can anyone point me to a method? So far I've tried with 8 different gifs and it's coming out at 200mb!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I did manage this really simply by essentially just creating the slideshow on an editing software, i.e adding the images on the editing software and then fading from one to the next.  Then after uploading it on youtube, you can add this as a video to the background on your squarespace website and then you can simply add the overlay text and button if you want. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2020 at 12:15 PM, NickMorris said:

Hey guys, I did manage this really simply by essentially just creating the slideshow on an editing software, i.e adding the images on the editing software and then fading from one to the next.  Then after uploading it on youtube, you can add this as a video to the background on your squarespace website and then you can simply add the overlay text and button if you want. 

Nick, that is a very simple and effective option that I can test out. It's such an oversight by @SQUARESPACE to not have a slideshow banner with the option to add text and buttons to each slide!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm afraid there are currently only workarounds. 

1. You can use an animated GIF as the background image

2. You can use a video as the background image

3. You can manually add text to each image before uploading and make a gallery (If you want the text to change for each photo.)

Would be nice to just have a Gallery option when changing the background, alongside Video and Image.

• 5 months later...

Hey guys,

Ive been trolling for a solution to this myself. I finalllllyyy was able to get a slideshow carousel to appear with my header/navigation over it using a combination of Squarespace features and code.

I dropped in a gallery at the top of my page and selected the single large photo full screen gallery image option. I then uploaded my own photos, hit autoplay and adjusted the speed with the square space controls. 

In custom CSS I put in the following code - this got my images to lay under the header and is applied to your full site. Now just trying to figure out how to add text over it. Hope this helps!

// Transparent gallery over header

.page-section.gallery-section {
padding-top: 0px !important;
}
@media screen and (min-width: 640px) {
.gallery-fullscreen-slideshow {
height: 120vh !important;
}
}
@media screen and (max-width: 640px) {
.gallery-fullscreen-slideshow {
height: 60vh !important; // Change this value to modify gallery height on mobile
}
}
.gallery-fullscreen-slideshow[data-show-captions="true"][data-width="full-bleed"] {
margin-bottom: 0;
}

• 2 weeks later...

The process of creating a slideshow is much easier than you might imagine. To create a bright and cool slideshow, you need high-quality software and some free time. Most photo and video editing programs only work with certain OS versions. That is why I use universal software that includes the most necessary and useful functions (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.movavi.mobile.movaviclips)

Edited by bagodcker