How do I delete .pdf files when they are not visible in the file drop down menu?

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Hello

How do I delete uploaded .pdf files from Squarespace when they are not visible in the file drop down menu (AVENUE template) but still discoverable through Google search?

I was surprised to find out that some pdf files that I had uploaded a year ago as links to certain pages but not used any more, where still available to download if I searched my site on Google!

When I go to file manager I can't see them on the drop down menu. Also, I realize different linked areas of the site display different uploaded files. Is there a central file management place where I can delete everything that is not in use?

URL: www.onebreath.eu, Template: Avenue

Thank youMyrto

Edited by Paul2009

Yes! It's sort of hidden. Design > Custom CSS. At the bottom, you'll see a Manage Custom Files button. You can view and delete unused files from there.

christyprice.com  🇺🇸 Austin, TX US 

Get my 100+ item Client Process Checklist for $17.
📔 Flourish Journal for Creative Entrepreneurs - 365 days of prompts
🎥 Watch Circle Live: Hello Income (feat. Christy Price and Jeremy Schwartz)
🎬 Watch It's Not Hard to Say Goodbye: Crafting Client Offboarding from Circle Day 2023

Hi @christyprice , thanks for the reply.

I was not referring to the CSS files, but rather other files that I've uploaded as links.

When you add a link you can either link to an existing page, another webpage or a file. And then you upload the file from your computer. This is what I'm trying to see - all the files that were ever uploaded on my site, in one central location. At the moment I can't find all of them and cannot delete the old ones. They still show up on Google.

ThanksMyrto

• 1 month later...

I am having this same exact issue. This problem with the file system seems like some kind of bug but I don't know if they are fixing it or what. I did find this help doc that tells you to send them an email and they'll delete them for you so I wanted to share it with other folks having this issuehttps://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/205812748-Image-and-file-URLs-in-Squarespace#toc-remove-an-image-or-file-url

Annotation 2019-11-08 142459.jpg

I need an answer to this problem as well. It seems ridiculous there isn't some sort of file manager to access all your files.

I have some files that I've already uploaded and since then I have uploaded another 20 files. Now I'm trying to create hyperlinks to the ones uploaded earlier and I can't access them from the list, because it only shows 20 files. 

I could re-upload them but what is the point of duplicating work like this?

You can normally see ALL files but because of a bug you can only see the first 20 files in the list. I encountered this issue today (seven weeks it was mentioned above!) and reported it to Customer Care today.

They weren't already aware of it, which shows how important it is for you to report issues to Customer Care rather than on the public forum. This forum is not monitored for issues or requests. It is essential that you log a ticket with Customer Care directly.

Update:
Engineers are now aware of the issue and hope to have a fix in place soon.

Note that the priority given can often depend on the number of users impacted. If you are affected by this, please reach out to Customer Care.

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• Solution
On 11/13/2019 at 11:19 AM, TerrySilver said:

It seems ridiculous there isn't some sort of file manager to access all your files.

@TerrySilver @bekaRoo @imichaud @myrto

I agree that there should be a built-in file manager that allows us to access all our files. However, until Squarespace provide one, there is a third party tool now that gives you this functionality. I used it today to delete files that couldn't otherwise be reached. 

Anyone who builds Squarespace websites should consider a version of this. I've used the PRO version of SquarespaceWebsites Tools Extension since the beginning. It was great then, but it just keeps improving. 

squarewebsites-file-manager.thumb.png.5b3eb0781fa34218c9816ca784941133.png

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@myrto I wouldn’t worry about the categorisation because I have a different category available to me.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello, I am looking for the location of a file that I have password protected through Member Space. I cannot locate the file in Squarespace to update it. When I hover of the download the url has /s/ in it, so I'm wondering that is an indication? I cannot locate it in my Asset library. 

Any help is appreciated!

Edited by BridgetteB
53 minutes ago, BridgetteB said:

Hello, I am looking for the location of a file that I have password protected through Member Space. I cannot locate the file in Squarespace to update it. When I hover of the download the url has /s/ in it, so I'm wondering that is an indication? I cannot locate it in my Asset library. 

Any help is appreciated!

I solved my problem by finally locating the edit tool in my edit page! Then I clicked the gear button and redirected the link. 

Screen Shot 2023-01-11 at 12.29.26 PM.png