LawPay for online payments

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you want to use this service in preference to (built-in) Stripe?

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Hi Paul, great question. Stripe specifically excludes attorney escrow/retainer payments as does PayPal. They only allow use for payments for legal services already rendered. My law firm works on a retainer basis, we hold the client's retainer monies in escrow and bill against them. This setup is prohibited by Stripe & PayPay (and most other online payment processor's I've checked in to), thus LawPay has filled the gap and created a method that complies with ABA rules, local Bar rules, and the legal retainer payment method.

Hi Paul, great question. Stripe specifically excludes attorney escrow/retainer payments as does PayPal. They only allow use for payments for legal services already rendered. My law firm works on a retainer basis, we hold the client's retainer monies in escrow and bill against them. This setup is prohibited by Stripe & PayPay (and most other online payment processor's I've checked in to), thus LawPay has filled the gap and created a method that complies with ABA rules, local Bar rules, and the legal retainer payment method.

Also, Stripe and others automatically deduct their fees off the top of the payment and deposit only the balance. Because my law firm collects retainers and holds the clients' monies in escrow/trust, we cannot deduct fees from the payments. We need a system that deposits the entire payment into our escrow account and then deducts the fees from our operating account. That's the only way we can remain in compliance (and be ethically correct too). My old swipe POS provider permitted that setup to two accounts, but I've found online processors don't (except LawPay).

Also, Stripe and others automatically deduct their fees off the top of the payment and deposit only the balance. Because my law firm collects retainers and holds the clients' monies in escrow/trust, we cannot deduct fees from the payments. We need a system that deposits the entire payment into our escrow account and then deducts the fees from our operating account. That's the only way we can remain in compliance (and be ethically correct too). My old swipe POS provider permitted that setup to two accounts, but I've found online processors don't (except LawPay).

• 10 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to post incase anyone is like me and really struggling to get a payment option on their website.  To add Lawpay I clicked on "edit header"  then changed the text on the "contact" button to say "make a payment".  I then put the hyperlink given by Lawpay on the line beneath where I typed "make a payment".  It worked and I only had to spend two days figuring it out ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Fermin said:

Just wanted to see if there was an update on this?

What difficulties are you experiencing? It should be easy to provide a payment link on your website by adding a link to LawPay.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.