"Unable to add item" and "that item is not available" error for no reason

Go to solution Solved by Jo_SQSP,

On one of our purchasing pages, all of the items are giving the following pop up error message:

"Unable to add item" and "that item is not available"

The inventory on all items is unlimited. No one can add the items to cart. Need fixed ASAP.

Edited by booking
Initial Revision
  • Solution

Squarespace recently fixed a bug where products on disabled Products Pages could be added to the cart – previously, if you had a product on a disabled Products Page shared elsewhere on your site (in a Product Block or Summary Block, or linked directly to the URL), the product could be purchased. If you're noticing products can no longer be purchased, double-check that the Products Page is enabled (you can move it to your Not Linked Pages to keep it from appearing in your navigation.

@oquay @kevinlh @booking

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
On 9/17/2019 at 8:16 AM, Jo_SQSP said:

Squarespace recently fixed a bug where products on disabled Products Pages could be added to the cart – previously, if you had a product on a disabled Products Page shared elsewhere on your site (in a Product Block or Summary Block, or linked directly to the URL), the product could be purchased. If you're noticing products can no longer be purchased, double-check that the Products Page is enabled (you can move it to your Not Linked Pages to keep it from appearing in your navigation.

@oquay @kevinlh @booking

How do I fix this?

Everything is enabled, published and public...with unlimited inventory

Screen Shot 2023-02-10 at 2.01.21 PM.png

34 minutes ago, martinnethercutt said:

How do I fix this?

Please post the URL for a page on your site where we can see your issue.

A link to the backend of the your site won’t work for us, i.e. a url that contains /config/.

Please set up a site-wide password, if your site is not public and you've not already done so.

Post the password here.

Adding a site-wide password does not allow anyone to alter your site. It only allows those with the password to see your site.

Please read the site-wide password and how to share a link documentation to understand how they work.

We can then take a look at your issue.

You may find How to post a forum question post useful.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 2 months later...
On 5/10/2023 at 6:01 AM, paigewilliams said:

It is doing this to me as well.

What is happening here is technically when you add an item to your cart, it has not yet been taken out of stock levels. That happens when you checkout.

The dialog is reporting the actual stock level. It doesn't take into account what is in your cart or others.

SS and others use a first come first serve system, whoever checks out first gets the 1 item in stock. Someone who comes a second later vaing for that same one item gets an error message.

Now from an end user perspective I understand that it is a bit confusing. From a technical perspective I don't see a sensible way to handle items that are in people's carts that have not been removed from stock and communicate that sensibly across multiple user experiences. Imagine what would happen if a user put an item in their cart and that caused a reserve situation and then that user walked away for a week. In the meantime you have a user who has hot cash ready to spend on your product now but they get the out of stock message because another user has an item reserved. It would be madness and you lost a sure sale.

Edited by creedon

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, lisabrouwer said:

I'm having the same issue.

I know nothing of your business but it appears to me as though in your scenario you have a site with a number of rooms available. Each room is unique so your stock level is one for each room. Once the room is purchased, the stock level goes to zero so no one else can double book the room. Once that guest has arrived, stayed, and left, you can set the stock level back to one, so that the next visitor can book the room.

Since SS has no reservation system built-in that is about as close as you can get to something sensible when treating a room like a product from a store in the context of SS system.

I was able to put the Private Queen Suite into my cart with no issue. When I tried to put the same suite into my cart again, I got the unable to add message.

This makes sense as the suite is already in my cart.

Is the item you are trying to add already in your cart? If so, remove it, and you can add it again.

I just put the bunk room in my cart as well, no issues.

If there is a specific product you are having issues with? Please post the URL for that product.

• 1 month later...

I was able to add the $900 product. I was unable to add extras as you have Express checkout turned on. Turn it off.

Express checkout is designed for one item purchase only situations.

Let us know how it goes.

• 3 weeks later...

We are also having this problem. The stock number is set to infinity, the product is enabled. The products were added to a page with the product module in the page editor - there are no disabled store pages that have those products.  I just disable express checkout, (which we had wanted to use for service products) and disabling that didn't help.

Why can we not add physical products to cart or checkout?

https://www.greenpathherbschool.com/swag

2 hours ago, Elaine4for4 said:

The stock number is set to infinity, the product is enabled. Why can we not add physical products to cart or checkout?

I recommend that you contact Squarespace Customer Care for assistance. They will be able to access the site inventory and investigate this for you. The forum community do not have the necessary access.

Do post back when you solve it. The answer may help others 🙂.

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.