Password access isn't working

Go to solution Solved by tatiana1570048758,

I have a site in beta. I want to give access to a few folks to proofread and test the website. So, I wanted to use the feature to make the site available via password. (Settings>Site Visibility>)

I put in the password. Click save. The site confirms that I did this correctly. It tells me "Your site is hidden. Only users with the password can see it." I commence to test it. I log out. I try the password. It does not work. It tells me to please try again.

I've tried several passwords, several browsers. I've tried to rule out key-in errors by cutting and pasting the password rather than typing it. I also use a password manager, so I've both used it to generate and fill in the password. And then, to rule out shenanigans with the password manager, logged out of it and did it manually.

It just isn't working. This isn't suppose to be difficult or hard.

Edited by tatiana
Initial Revision
  • Solution

So, I hunted around to find the customer care email (they do hide that thing, don't they?). And they got back to me fairly quickly. What I discovered is that I must have put passwords on some pages (I suppose that's what happens one one starts building a site 3 months ago and then quits...one forgets what one has done.) Which also happened to be the home page. So I was caught in circular log-in pages, but I couldn't tell because they are identical.

So. I'm putting the "fix" here for other people to find. I was wrong so you don't have to be!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/10/2019 at 8:31 PM, tatiana1570048758 said:

So, I hunted around to find the customer care email (they do hide that thing, don't they?). And they got back to me fairly quickly. What I discovered is that I must have put passwords on some pages (I suppose that's what happens one one starts building a site 3 months ago and then quits...one forgets what one has done.) Which also happened to be the home page. So I was caught in circular log-in pages, but I couldn't tell because they are identical.

So. I'm putting the "fix" here for other people to find. I was wrong so you don't have to be!

Thank you! I had the same problem and this worked. 

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...