will moving a 'trial' site to my current URL affect my google SEO?

I am fairly new to Squarespace and helping a client do a redesign on their current website. Following the advice below, I started a trial site because they wanted their current site to stay live while doing the redesign. My plans are to make a trial site—and then to switch it over to their current URL. They are now complaining that their Google SEO will be affected if I do it this way and i have already put in 20+ hours at this point. I don't see why this would happen, as it would be the same URL, just a new "design" but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this. Any explanations would be great so I have some technical stuff to tell them when I speak to them next.

If you want to completely switch templates and basically start from scratch, your best bet is to create a new trial site under your existing account, get it setup exactly how you like it and then when you are ready, upgrade it onto a plan and switch the domain over to your new site.

TLDR: Designing a website. Made trial site on Squarespace so I was able to change theme and was planning on switching to "real" URL when I was done. Client claims it will affect google SEO and I need to know if this is true.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived