Cannot Transfer Domain

I've tried several times to transfer my purchased (through Squarespace) domain from one Squarespace template to another Squarespace template and it will not transfer. I own the domain, rights, etc. Yet, something that should be as simple as a click and transfer is ridiculously difficult. I received a message from customer care stating: "We’re currently doing some maintenance to our billing system on the back end of Squarespace that’s preventing domains from moving between sites. Our engineers are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible, but the process may take up to a few weeks." ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?! "A FEW WEEKS" is not what I need to read right now - especially when I'm paying for a site and domain through this company. And WHY does a billing mishap have anything to do with transferring a domain between Squarespace templates?!?!? Can anyone out there shed some light on this?! Ugh.

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are still having trouble moving a domain, I recommend you contact Customer Care using your existing ticket. Their engineering team should attempt to move the domain manually for you during this period.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 4 weeks later...

@Terrils did you ever get this resolved? I'm having the same problem, and it's beyond frustrating. I've submitted a ticket to Customer Care, but haven't heard anything back. If you've got any tips beyond those on the "move a domain between sites" guide, I'd really appreciate hearing them. This should be easy. Thanks!

@Terrils did you ever get this resolved? I'm having the same problem, and it's beyond frustrating. I've submitted a ticket to Customer Care, but haven't heard anything back. If you've got any tips beyond those on the "move a domain between sites" guide, I'd really appreciate hearing them. This should be easy. Thanks!

For anyone else dealing with this issue, support responded to my ticket with confirmation that it is a billing issue (! - How is this taking so long?) and a workaround that doesn't really solve my problem, but may help some:

I had a look at the account and this issue is occurring because, we’re currently updating our internal billing system, and this process is preventing some domains from moving between sites. I’ve escalated your case to our engineers, and this issue will be resolved as soon as possible.

ince your custom domain can’t be moved at this time, you can forward it to your new site’s built-in domain as a temporary workaround. With this workaround in place, your site’s built-in domain will display publicly.

To forward the original domain to your new site’s built-in or custom domain, log into your old site and follow the steps in this guide:

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/articles/214767107#toc-forward-to-a-non-squarespace-site

While the steps in the guide above appear to be for forwarding a domain to a non-Squarespace site, they can also be used to forward to another Squarespace site. When forwarding the original domain, enter the new site’s built-in domain or the custom domain you purchased into the URL field. If you need help finding your site’s built-in domain, visit this guide:

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/articles/206541717

Archived