Video background is not working as expected in Five template on iOS.

Using the Five template, video backgrounds don’t play on 2018 or later model iPads in iOS 12 and iPad OS.

The fallback image isn’t showing. It’s just the background color nothing else. There seem to be something wrong with the template it self. Older model iPads and ALL iPhones do show video backgrounds correctly.

See for yourself at https://www.kasuja.nl
You are welcomed by a video background if you visit the site on a desktop or laptop, any iPhone or all iPad models from before 2018.

I am passionate about visual storytelling and I use the power of illustration and animation to explain ideas, provoke emotions & engage the public.

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What did Squarespace Customer Care say when you contacted them?

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

They simply told me its not a Squarespace related problem but an Apple (iOS) related problem. But I doubt that. Some samsung devices have the same issue.

I hoped iPad OS that acts as full blown Safari would solve the issue on iPad OS beta but that is not the case.

I am passionate about visual storytelling and I use the power of illustration and animation to explain ideas, provoke emotions & engage the public.

Thnx for your reply, Do you mean the url?

The URL: www.kasuja.nl (site is forwarded to my own domain)

Thnx for your reply, Do you mean the url?

The URL: www.kasuja.nl (site is forwarded to my own domain)

Squarespace don't control whether a background video is shown on mobile devices - it is controlled by the mobile device's browser.

In the past, mobiles would not load background videos but this changed recently because devices are now powerful enough to display them and an increasing number of networks (4G/5G/WiFi) are fast enough too.

If you want to change the behaviour, for example you want to force the fallback image, you'll need to add some code. The specifics will depend on the behaviour you want to see.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

@Paul2009 How can you force a 2018 model ipad Pro to dispaly video backgrounds. Mutch less powerfull iPads and iPhone have no trouble playing video backgrounds.

Archived