YouTube banner video not loading on mobile device and fallback image does not show either

I just went live with a website (www.providancepac.com) and I'm having several issues with the YouTube banner videos not loading both on mobile devices and one in Chrome on MacBook Pro.

1. On IPhone in Safari the Video does not load and fallback image is a solid color.
  2. On Samsung phone in Chrome video will play but I have to click the website logo and then video plays but not always.
  3. On Ipad in Safari & Chrome fallback image shows but no video.
  4. On Macbook Pro in Chrome video does not play until I reload the site by clicking the logo.

Not finding a fix for these issues in the forum topics I have searched so far. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Edited by hwitherspoon
  • 3 months later...

I don't see a banner video embedded on the page at www.inheritedstories.org

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

The video does play for me on mobile browsers but it is very intermittent, only loading around 30% of the time.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 month later...

@hwitherspoon Did you figure it out? @paul2009 Do you know more about this issue?

I am having the same issue on www.sunfolding.com.
My video banner (link from Vimeo) has only loaded on 1 mobile device out of the 6 I have tried (both various Samsung and iPhone models and different browsers).
My fall back image does not work either (I also tried a GIF as fall back, but that did not work). It just displays the background color, no matter what I do.

Talked to SS support and they said that because I have custom code on my site, that it might be causing the problem. I have an interactive image embedded in a code block + most header text is code blocks, and I am not looking to remove all that. Is there no way around this or a way to troubleshoot?

Any help appreciated. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have solution but I can chip in and tell you that I have similar problems. Video works on desktop and every Iphone I've tried, but not on Ipads on the same network. Some Android users also get the fallback image instead of the video. 

Will at some point try a different video that is only 720p (not what I'd prefer) and also see if I can just upload a shorter cut of the video and see what happens.

I'm experiencing the exact same issue at the moment, it's been on and off for the last 2-3 months, with no real indication as to what's causing it - it's been very random for me.

My only fix is to use a CSS Pseudo element paired with a media query in order to ensure the fallback image appears on mobile. Far from ideal, but it works for the time being.

Edited by ANI.agency
Elaboration
  • 4 months later...

Confirming exact same issue as of 03JUL20. 

https://www.baunovus.com/

I can live w/o a video on mobile. but expect the "mobile fallback image" to display, which it does not, nor does it display the section color. Confirmed on multiple platforms. Wondering if it might be have anything to do with the convoluted YT server connection? I expect I could try some custom code but was expecting the features to work as documented, which they never have.

Is the best hack based on the CSS pseudo element mentioned by @ANI.agency

EDIT: Just noted Custom CSS is not allowed for the Cover Page, 

Feel free to enlighten me if it is something I didn't understand correctly, but if not, is it recommended to contact support?

Edited by BauNovus
update
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone solved this yet?  I am having the same problem.

Can someone explain and paste some CSS for this "CSS Pseudo element paired with a media query" mentioned above?  Sorry I am just trying to build my first website and not very technologically savy....

• 2 months later...

I'm also seeing this. Banner video hosted on youtube not loading on mobile chrome on android.

Remote debugging so that I can inspect the error shows that there is an uncaught exception:

Uncaught (in promise) DOMException: The play() request was interrupted by a call to pause().

complete with link to explanation of that exception: https://goo.gl/LdLk22

Any ideas how to fix this?

• 10 months later...

Did anyone find a solution to this? 

I have the same issue. 

Video plays on my machine but not on the browsers of any of my colleagues, and not on phones

I'm really surprised squarespace hasn't done anything about this glitch as a lot of people seem to be experiencing it

On 9/24/2021 at 1:45 AM, EdR said:

Did anyone find a solution to this? 

I have the same issue. 

Video plays on my machine but not on the browsers of any of my colleagues, and not on phones

I'm really surprised squarespace hasn't done anything about this glitch as a lot of people seem to be experiencing it

Hi,

Can you share link to page where you use youtue video?

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

• 1 month later...
On 9/26/2021 at 3:30 PM, tuanphan said:

Hi,

Can you share link to page where you use youtue video?

On 11/2/2021 at 10:29 PM, fuzzykiwimedia said:

Also having the same issue with a 7.0 site, mobile banner. I too would be interested to see if there is finally a work around? 

Consider using Video Block. I just added it for a forum member site

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

• 6 months later...