How to make the header / main menu overlap with the page banner? (SOLVED)

The website is based on the Rally template.

I want the entire header section - main menu, logo, social icons, etc. - to be on top of any page's topmost banner. I. e. not to be above the banner (like a white stripe that has the main menu and logo) but layered over the banner itself, without any additional background.

I've done this before (here https://part-time.bg/) with another website that has the same template but can't find a way to do it now. I'm sure there's some hidden option... I don't mean code - I can't code - I mean a simple, existing option that I can't effing find now.

• Replies 5
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Site Styles, setting a header element to 'Top xxx' puts it above the banner image. Selecting 'Bottom xxx' layers it on top of the banner image.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Thanks, man. I checked that on the other site I've made, and, indeed, it's exactly that.

However, the Header: Bottom section is, for some reason, nowhere to be seen for the current website I'm trying to make, despite the fact that I'm using the same template (Rally), and it's even under the same account (so the same features are available/restricted).

So does anyone have any clue why the heck the Header: Bottom section is missing for the site I'm working on but it's always been there for the one I built a year ago?

Thanks, man. I checked that on the other site I've made, and, indeed, it's exactly that.

However, the Header: Bottom section is, for some reason, nowhere to be seen for the current website I'm trying to make, despite the fact that I'm using the same template (Rally), and it's even under the same account (so the same features are available/restricted).

So does anyone have any clue why the heck the Header: Bottom section is missing for the site I'm working on but it's always been there for the one I built a year ago?

For us to help you, we'll need you to provide us with a working link to your site.

Squarespace Customer Care are there to help with questions like this, so you may want to chat it through with them via live chat. You can reach out to them here.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 3 weeks later...

I DID IT! :)

So the HEADER: BOTTOM option list/section in Site Styles only appeared after I went to HEADER: LAYOUT to mess around with the positioning of the logo and the primary navigation stuff. And when I selected Branding Position: Bottom Left, then the logo went down over the header image. The same thing happened when I selected set Social Position to Bottom Right.

Oh, what a relief! It's been there the whole time! Still, not intuitive at all!

Thanks for the replies, @Paul2009! They at least pushed me to keep digging. :)

Archived