Website Copy That Can't Be Copied.

This simply isn’t possible. If your content is available on the internet, it can be copied. Of course it shouldn’t be copied - if you wrote the content, you own the copyright.

You can add code that discourages visitors from copying your content, by making it more difficult, but you cannot stop it altogether. 

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Let me try to provide some additional detail. It isn't technically possible to prevent someone copying text on a website. Any website.

The websites you've seen will be deploying some measures to make it appear that text cannot be copied. For example, you could prevent visitors from selecting text on a page, or block the 'copy' command when they try to copy to the clipboard.

However, I would not advise any of my clients to implement these restrictions on their websites because these measures are just small obstacles that will not prevent visitors copying your content. They will simply frustrate your genuine visitors by giving them a bad experience, and they won't return.

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@paul2009 I also would be interested in knowing more of the possibilities for making text and content harder to steal.  Blanket dismissal of the possible defenses because someone can ultimately get around them isn't helpful.  Is there text that can be utilized in code injection to disable text selection on a Squarespace site and blog posts?  Word Press and others have ways to do it.  If you could please provide text for disabling the copy command and text selection, that would be appreciated.

On 3/11/2020 at 7:58 AM, Xaander said:

@paul2009 I also would be interested in knowing more of the possibilities for making text and content harder to steal.  Blanket dismissal of the possible defenses because someone can ultimately get around them isn't helpful.  Is there text that can be utilized in code injection to disable text selection on a Squarespace site and blog posts?  Word Press and others have ways to do it.  If you could please provide text for disabling the copy command and text selection, that would be appreciated.

You can disable Right Click

However it only helps a part. Because there are many ways to combat that. If you know the code, you have many ways to copy text / download images from such a web.

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...
On 8/1/2019 at 9:25 AM, paul2009 said:

This simply isn’t possible. If your content is available on the internet, it can be copied. Of course it shouldn’t be copied - if you wrote the content, you own the copyright.

Hi Paul, 

Just wanted to add that it is indeed possible to forbid copying and pasting in a sq website. The code snippet mentioned above worked like a charm for me and the idea (as the question itself) is to discourage "content thieves" from simply copying and pasting your content. See my answer and the result in our website, down below. (The point is to discourage, if one wants to sit and write anew what they see, nobody can really stop them right?)

Edited by Leo_Fotis

For 

On 4/28/2020 at 12:35 AM, JorgeVazquez said:

This worked out for me, just paste it in the header of any blog or page using the <script> tags

function disableselect(e) {
    return false;
}

function reEnable() {
    return true;
}

document.onselectstart = new Function("return false");

if (window.sidebar) {
    document.onmousedown = disableselect;
    document.onclick = reEnable;
}

It readlly did! Thanks!

Hi guys, 

I tried the above mentioned code snippet in my website and worked like a charm, adding as suggested, the <script> & </script> tags. 
Our website is www.geopsis.com
The specific blog page we wanted to disable select text is this: https://www.geopsis.com/news-blog 

In effect, the code helped discouraging potential copying and pasting of parts or all of our articles, which is the point of this whole thread. Replying to Paul above, naturally if one is determined to take an hour and write in a blank document what they see and read, nobody can prevent them. However most of the illegal copying and pasting on the internet -thus depriving you of the real credits of your work, which is traffic at your site and your article-, happens because people can simply copy and paste what they see. 

To make things easier, here is the code snippet complete with the tags: 

<script>
function disableselect(e) {
    return false;
}

function reEnable() {
    return true;
}

document.onselectstart = new Function("return false");

if (window.sidebar) {
    document.onmousedown = disableselect;
    document.onclick = reEnable;
}
</script>

Additionally, let me add that if one really wants to copy your content, then they might as will try and print the page in .pdf format from Chrome / other browsers. For the moment I haven't found any code to disable print from web browser, but I will update this post if I do.