What is the best way to apply the newest templates (Version 7.1) to an existing site (built on Version 7.0)?

Hello,

I am using a website that is built on Version 7.0– Brine family (Mentor template) and I would like to change my existing site suing the newest templates (Vandam) offered in Version 7.1.

Reference Link here

When I go to my site settings and want to change my template, the UI only shows me the Version 7.0 design templates, but not the Version 7.1 templates.

What is the best way to apply the newest design and the new platform is much more straight forward and easier to use?

• Do I need to create a new site from scratch and rebuild the website?
  • If yes, how can I make sure, I can get the existing domain transferred to the newest site, without the SEO, G-Suite account, etc. being affected. In other words, how can I make sure I can transition to Version 7.1 smoothly?

Any suggestions and best practices are welcome!

Cheers,Chor

• Replies 15
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The two platforms are completely separate. You must create your new site from scratch. You cannot ‘upgrade’ or ‘migrate’ to 7.1.

Use the same Squarespace account to create the new site and then, when the new site has been built, you can easily move the domain across,

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I was wondering the same thing and unfortunately having to rebuild the entire site is the way to go. Same for blog posts as they don't have a migration option which seems a bit ridiculous.

I've emailed Squarespace to find out how this will affect Google searches and SEO ... awaiting a response. This will not be good if it ruins all of that previous work. I work in Wordpress for another project and when they launched a new version it was seamless and didn't have to rebuild anything. Seems this wasn't done in the right way and they may lose a lot of customers or hold the rest back from the better options available in the new version.

• 3 weeks later...

@feelthewater If you visit https://www.squarespace.com/templates then you should see the 7.1 starting points (Mark Novo, Paloma, Clarkson..). Clicking on 'Looking for older templates?' will send you to the 7.0 templates.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/13/2019 at 11:11 PM, paul2009 said:

The two platforms are completely separate. You must create your new site from scratch. You cannot ‘upgrade’ or ‘migrate’ to 7.1.

Use the same Squarespace account to create the new site and then, when the new site has been built, you can easily move the domain across,

Does this require you to pay for a whole new site or can square space migrate the domain and cost paid towards the old 7.0 or less site towards the new 7.1 site?

• 3 weeks later...

I am one of those that never complains on these type of forums. I know the developers work hard.  Sorry but this is one of the stupidest things I’ve seen in a while. Why in the world would they force their customers to have to rebuild the websites from scratch? I just don’t get that. That’s backwards. I love squarespace. I preach squarespace. It’s like a freaking religion. But this is absolutely stupid! What if someone has a lot of content on the website? What about several years of blog posts? And you want people to sit there and copy and paste all that BS? The images don’t transfer. What if you have all images on your website that you don’t have any longer? This is a stupid move squarespace!

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, cmarzarella said:

This is total BS. For my blog posts, this means I need to recreate all of the SEO, copy and paste alllllll of the text, format the headers, the graphics, and exercise and exhaust my f--king patience? Who thought of this idea to make them completely separate? I want to kick that person in the ass. 

Look your complaint is like griping about the difference between a  good sedan and luxury sports car convertible.  7.1 is not an upgrade to 7.0, its designed for the mobile driven viewer and designer, its a simplified platform inspired by 7.0 Brine family of templates. Put things in the proper perspective and maybe you will not want to damage someones' posterior. For anyone who has a SS site now on 7.0 keep it there. If you are a  first time builder or are building an additional site, want  to build a bit faster than using 7.0, don't need as big a box of design tools,  then 7.1 is  something to look at. 

On 4/1/2020 at 10:07 AM, derricksrandomviews said:

Look your complaint is like griping about the difference between a  good sedan and luxury sports car convertible.  7.1 is not an upgrade to 7.0, its designed for the mobile driven viewer and designer, its a simplified platform inspired by 7.0 Brine family of templates. Put things in the proper perspective and maybe you will not want to damage someones' posterior. For anyone who has a SS site now on 7.0 keep it there. If you are a  first time builder or are building an additional site, want  to build a bit faster than using 7.0, don't need as big a box of design tools,  then 7.1 is  something to look at. 

I didn't think of it this way. You're right.
I wanted to keep my site at 7.0 but I just spent over 9 days at home tweaking a new site. I'm going to 7.1. You seem pretty knowledgeable, Would you mind checking it out?

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good, tells your story and that is the most important thing of all. I have two suggestions. One brighten up your logo, it is your first page and should pop a bit more. Second add a back to top button so folks don't have to scroll a long time to get back to your nav bar. I use one because I have a long page of blog stories and summaries, takes a lot of scrolling to get back to top of page. 

https://www.adlyticmarketing.com/blog/squarespace-how-to-add-a-back-to-top-button/

• 2 weeks later...

Archived