Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Advanced Search
chor

What is the best way to apply the newest templates (Version 7.1) to an existing site (built on Version 7.0)?

Question

Posted (edited)

Hello,

I am using a website that is built on Version 7.0– Brine family (Mentor template) and I would like to change my existing site suing the newest templates (Vandam) offered in Version 7.1.

Reference Link here

When I go to my site settings and want to change my template, the UI only shows me the Version 7.0 design templates, but not the Version 7.1 templates.

What is the best way to apply the newest design and the new platform is much more straight forward and easier to use?

• Do I need to create a new site from scratch and rebuild the website?
  • If yes, how can I make sure, I can get the existing domain transferred to the newest site, without the SEO, G-Suite account, etc. being affected. In other words, how can I make sure I can transition to Version 7.1 smoothly?

Any suggestions and best practices are welcome!

Cheers,Chor

Edited by chor
Initial Revision

5 answers to this question

The two platforms are completely separate. You must create your new site from scratch. You cannot ‘upgrade’ or ‘migrate’ to 7.1.

Use the same Squarespace account to create the new site and then, when the new site has been built, you can easily move the domain across,

If a response has helped you, please give thanks using the  like-20-mag.png.3997345d620e40b4760b5d7a667cad54.png button.
Need personalised help? I'm a professional Developer who works with Designers internationally. You can book me via my company's website. www.sf.digital

I was wondering the same thing and unfortunately having to rebuild the entire site is the way to go. Same for blog posts as they don't have a migration option which seems a bit ridiculous.

I've emailed Squarespace to find out how this will affect Google searches and SEO ... awaiting a response. This will not be good if it ruins all of that previous work. I work in Wordpress for another project and when they launched a new version it was seamless and didn't have to rebuild anything. Seems this wasn't done in the right way and they may lose a lot of customers or hold the rest back from the better options available in the new version.

I tried to create a new site and similar templates from the 7.0 version came up as choices. Are these 7.0 or 7.1? How do I know the difference? The last thing I want to do is rebuild my site in an old version.

@feelthewater If you visit https://www.squarespace.com/templates then you should see the 7.1 starting points (Mark Novo, Paloma, Clarkson..). Clicking on 'Looking for older templates?' will send you to the 7.0 templates.

If a response has helped you, please give thanks using the  like-20-mag.png.3997345d620e40b4760b5d7a667cad54.png button.
Need personalised help? I'm a professional Developer who works with Designers internationally. You can book me via my company's website. www.sf.digital