Squarespace 7.1. Worth for heavy customizable site?

Hi there. I'm planning to renew my site and I have a couple of questions.I've heard the Brine Family is the best choice as a base to develope a heavy custom design. Any other suggestion?.I read in the help about the 7.1's interface changes once in the design process but i could not find any user's feedback about how this works compared to the old interface. I know it seems to be better for global changes and for responsiveness but is it better for customizing content (compare to old version) or is it "blocky" with tight rules?. I have doubts regarding this after reading the templates comparison charts here : https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/228344967-Template-comparison-chartsIf there's such an effort in creating a new interface with a unique template it's weird that we are missing custom options and tighting the belt againI guess I'm missing something....any light on this?By the way, I couldn't find the way to install a 7.1 version template. I can't find them in the template's browser. Any help would be appreciated.Thanks in advance

• Replies 7
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Version 7.1 is available in "early access" and so doesn’t have the fully developed range of options yet that are are available in the very flexible Brine family of templates. This is to be expected. For example, it only supports English right now whereas Brine supports a range of languages.

It’s a different experience building a site on this new platform and so the best advice I can give is to start a new free trial and see for yourself. It’s a completely separate platform so you won’t find options to ‘upgrade’ your template; you must start again.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Thanks Paul for the fast reply. Everything clear then.I'm planning to completely change my site so I'm uploading each element in a different arrangement and sizes. Once ready I'll delete all the content from the old website.So in some way it is like starting again and i was wondering if i could try 7.1 version to see if it fits my needs. I guess the only way is to start a new free trial instead of working in the new site "offline".I'll go with the brine family then till the 7.1 is fully customizableThanks again.

Thanks Paul for the fast reply. Everything clear then.I'm planning to completely change my site so I'm uploading each element in a different arrangement and sizes. Once ready I'll delete all the content from the old website.So in some way it is like starting again and i was wondering if i could try 7.1 version to see if it fits my needs. I guess the only way is to start a new free trial instead of working in the new site "offline".I'll go with the brine family then till the 7.1 is fully customizableThanks again.

Yes, indeed. You can start a free trial of 7.1 and compare and contrast.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 8 months later...

7.1 does not have landing pages, like 7.0 so a true one page site will not be there. 7.1 is like the 7.0 Brine family so you can have an index page which simulates one big page. Right now considering the features that 7.1 does not have compared to 7.0 and the way 7.1 looks, I would stick with a template in the 7.0 Brine family and there are a lot of them. You will have the best of both worlds so to speak. That being said Paul had a good idea, start a 7.1 trial and experiment with it. 

• 2 months later...

Archived