How to Create a Directory list with search/lookup

Hello Is there a way to create a phone or organization directory list with search or a lookup function based on department or category of people and function?ThanksBuck

Edited by Buck
Initial Revision

There isn’t a built-in function to specifically do this but, depending on the requirements, you may be able to build something using a Blog Collection, with one post per contact. A search bar, linked only to this blog, could then be used to search for matching posts (contacts). 

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Thank you Paul2009

What are my options then? How would I go about doing this. Is there an zapier integration that I can use that will allow me to create a searchable directory list?

Thanks

Hello Paul2009OK, so its really phone directory lookup (similar to 411.ca) that will have search bar and then a visitor can either lookup either by name or some category such as department. The search should return a specific result such as name,phone number and email address if searching someone specific by name or if the search is by department then it should return a list of people in that department with all the particular mentioned above.Thank you again

• 5 months later...

Hi Buck, this might be a bit late for you but there is a directory tool called Community Box that allows you to create searchable listings: https://www.communitybox.co/squarespace I'm not sure it's exactly what you're looking for but you can have people in categories and then search and sort by name, categories or location. It's free for up to 25 entries if you wanted to have a play around. 

Full disclosure, I was involved with making this tool but we created it because I'm a Squarespace designer and was frustrated due to the lack of directory options. 

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi @katyjanneh, you can create a directory on your site using Community Box... Try it out, with a free trial account. Here are the instructions for adding it to your Squarespace site - https://www.communitybox.co/support/how-to-add-community-box-to-your-squarespace-website

Good luck!

Karen

Edited by kvick

Karen Vick
Chief Guide @ Guiding Brands
954-892-5519  |  www.guidingbrands.com  |  karen@guidingbrands.com
Take 15-minutes with Karen |  Guiding Brands Podcast
LinkedIn

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

There is a tool Awesometable, have you try it?

BeyondSpace - Squarespace Website Developer

🖼️ Lightbox Studio (Enable Pinch/Zoom on lightbox)
🗓️ Delivery Date Picker (Squarespace Date picker form field)
💫 Gallery block 7.1 workaround
🥳 Sparkplugin Customisations Browsers (Browse +100 Spark plugin customisations)
🥳 Elfsight Template Browsers (Browse +1000 Elfsight widget Templates)

If you find my answer useful, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you!

• 2 months later...
On 2/2/2021 at 2:51 PM, kspeed said:

Hi Ionna, I'm looking for a directory solution too. Can you share why you don't like community box? Appreciate it. 

We are a non-profit and don't want to pay in perpetuity. We would prefer either an open source tool or to pay outright. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey @racheljcox I'm one of the Community Box co-founders and we are currently working on adding more template and layout options for the directory, as we appreciate the grid and popup option doesn't work for everyone! But that will take a few months. There is an option to create a custom layout for Community Box if you have an idea of the design you want, but there is a one-off fee for this. We can also help with CSS customisations (if you just want to make the popup bigger for example) so feel free to reach out via the live chat or book a 1:1 call from the home page

On 5/17/2021 at 7:31 AM, katycarlisle said:

Hey @racheljcox I'm one of the Community Box co-founders and we are currently working on adding more template and layout options for the directory, as we appreciate the grid and popup option doesn't work for everyone! But that will take a few months. There is an option to create a custom layout for Community Box if you have an idea of the design you want, but there is a one-off fee for this. We can also help with CSS customisations (if you just want to make the popup bigger for example) so feel free to reach out via the live chat or book a 1:1 call from the home page

@katycarlisle Are you able to remove the map and just have the actually directory entries listed?

4 hours ago, Ash_vibeindie said:

Are you able to remove the map and just have the actually directory entries listed?

@Ash_vibeindie Yes you can either hide the map completely or have it show on a toggle (so it's not visible when the directory first loads). The option to do that is in the "Look and Feel" tab in the dashboard. If you need any help you can always reach out via the Community Box website. 

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi @mcalixtro!

I'm one of the developers of Community Box.

Community Box works with both MemberSpace (recommended) as well as Squarespace's own Member Sites, both of which provide paywall functionality on Squarespace.

If you already have a different payments solution in place then you can probably connect that to Community Box via our Zapier integration.

You can test the options above on the Free plan of Community Box to make sure it all works the way you need it to before committing to anything. We'll be happy to help with any setup problems you run into (you can message us through the chat widget in the Community Box dashboard).

All the best,

Roland

@hopefulhoopla Yes Community Box should work without problem in Costa Rica! You can always try adding it to your website while on the Free plan, this way you can have peace of mind that the map will work as you need it to, before you commit to any upgrade. If you run into any problems, don't hesitate to message us via the support widget in the Community Box dashboard